LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2009 | 02:00 PM
|
Drifting
Default DIY brake pad replacement

Have any of you replaced your brake pads on your LR3? I've done pads, rotors since high school on various cars, though mostly BMWs and Fords. Any problems or challenges with doing your own on the LR3? My LR3 just started giving me the in dash warning, so it is time. On the BMW the sensor had to be replaced if you waited until it was activated, I assume it is similar with the LR3, correct? Where's the best place to buy them? dealer? online?

Old 01-11-2009 | 03:35 PM
Winching
Default RE: DIY brake pad replacement

Yes, sensors should be changed everytime you change pads. LAnd rover does not recomend turning the rotors when you change pads. They have been known to warp easily when turned for some reason. British Atlantic has pads. Actually almost every know online Land Rover store will carry them. Its a matter of personal choice. BA, rover connection, roverland parts are some of the most commonly used.

I just had mine recently changed. I called Midas for a quote and ended up being close to 1k. So I called my local dealer before trying to do it myself and they quoted me $600 for the complete job, including sensors, so I let the dealer do it. Therefore I can't comment on DIY common problems. I'm sure someone else will chime in soon on that.

Old 01-12-2009 | 12:12 PM
1st Gear

When I did it myself on my 05 LR3 I found it pretty simple (about twenty minutes per wheel, with most of the time in the jacking and tire change - damn heavy wheels). Brakes are standard Kelsey Hayes/TRW design- $75 for rears and $68 for fronts at BAP GEON. Hardest part (I am 66) was getting the wheel back on really heavy.

Old 01-12-2009 | 01:13 PM
Overlanding

Hey,
I just recently replaced my front brake pads on my '06 LR3. I, too have experience changing brake pads in the past on other types of vehicles, so to answer your question, its a piece of cake. I looked at Atlantic British for pads, but their prcie was too expensive, so I went to http://www.BuyBrakes.comand they had the best price for the best brakes for the LR3. After installation, you may experience a mild squeel as the new pads need to 'seat' themsleves with the rotors. It will be eliminated after a couple hundred miles of driving. And yes, replace the sensors. Good Luck!

Old 01-21-2009 | 11:12 AM
|
Drifting

Thanks everybody. I ended up ordering from British Pacific. Not a huge savings over dealer, but $45 is $45! Here comes my Saturday project, providing it doesn't rain.

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:05 PM
Winching

post pics of the job

Old 01-21-2009 | 12:27 PM
|
Drifting

will do...will have to employ my son as photographer since it wouldn't be a great plan to get all that brake dust on the camera

Old 01-21-2009 | 02:50 PM
Three Wheeling

And were do you get the sensors?..

Old 01-21-2009 | 03:44 PM
Winching

I would assum brit pacific they carry all that stuff

Old 01-21-2009 | 04:03 PM
|
Drifting

yes, british pacific carried OEM pads plus sensors.

My dealer quoted about $850 to install the pads/sensors, but labor rates are still pretty high in California. I figure I will save about $600 by doing it myself. (As long as I don't screw something up and have to spend $700 to fix my mistake later!)

Quick Reply: DIY brake pad replacement