LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY brake pad replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DIY brake pad replacement

And how will you change them? do you know how to install the sensors?...ITS OBLIGATORY TO INSTALL THE PARK SENSORS AFTER INSTALLING THE BRAKE PADS?...

Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Drifting

I've installed brake pads, rotors and sensors on numerous other vehicles including BMWs, Fords and Acuras, so I don't expect this to be significantly different. All other vehicles I have worked on required a simple procedure to unplug the old sensor, attach to the pad and re-install. I'll let you know.

Once a sensor has been activated, it must be replaced or you will get the alarm sound forever more...

Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Three Wheeling

and then when u install ! dou need to conect the car to the computer to erase anything? or no need to go to the dealer? thanks

Old 01-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Drifting

arrrgh. I've installed the new pad (front left) and was in the process of replacing the wear sensor and can't get to the end of the cord! it seems to snake inside the plastic wheel well insert and I didn't want to have to remove that!!! is there some trick to this?

Old 01-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Drifting

so...that's finished. The pad replacement is about the easiest I've tried. As I said in the last post I had a tough time with the sensor in the front. I had to remove a few wheel well retaining clips to get to where the sensor plug was, and once there it was a little tough to unplug it. The rest was easy. Here are a few pictures for anyone interested…
my pix

Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Three Wheeling

post pictures please!!! or send them to dipacacxa@gmail.com

thanks..

was it hard to put al the clips etc on againg?..any error or message on the console? thanks

Old 01-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Drifting

sorry if I wasn't clear...the link is in my post above. Just click on 'my pix', and it will take you to the photos. I didn't get too many useful photos as my hands were pretty dirty. As for installing the brakes, clips, etc, no, it was very easy and there were no error messages on the console, everything works.

The MOST difficult parts were that the lug nuts were so tight that I couldn't get them off with my biggest 'breaker' bar. I ended up having to dig up my impact wrench...which would really have pissed me off if I got a flat out in the middle of nowhere. The other challenge was the front wheel sensor which I mentioned in a previous post.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 AM
4wd Low

I got 4 pads off ebay for $44 total

Took the tires off and replaced the pads...

If you guys have changed any pads on any vehicle prior to this, its easy and straight forward.

You dont need any special tools to press the calipers back in, just a big $10 C-clamp.

However you should siphon off some brake fluid prior to pressing the calipers in, or atleast check after each piston...otherwise the brake fluid reservior will overflow.

Anyway, this job took me 30 minutes and the brakes are working good as new. Total price $44 for all 4 disc brakes and a half hour. Damn easy, its nice that they dont make it any more complicated then it needs to be.

The only down side is I have to buy teh brake pad warning things for $15 per axle (they only have one senso per axle{1 front 1 back} and they need to be replaced, plug &play)

Last edited by eshew; 02-23-2009 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:44 AM
4wd Low

Oh forgot, the sensors are connected by a wire that goes to a plug, you buy new sensors and plug them into the plug. Just make sure that if you see a wire going to the brake pads to disconeect the sensor, it just slips onto the middle of the brake pad plate. There is a wire thingy that keeps it tight, you'll drop it so watch out for that. IF you have new sensors it should be pretty easy to figure out. Just remember when you are doing this job...

The Front Sensor does snake up into the wheel well cover (in the wheel well, cant get to it from the engine bay). You have to remove the 2 closest press fitting things (closest to where the wire goes into the wheel well cover) as mentioned previously. You need to take a flat blade screwdriver and pull out the center of the press fitting and then pull out the wider part. After the 2 fittings are removed you can either have someone pull back the wheel well cover(easiest) or just get a good look and do it yourself. Make sure you route the cable as you take the old one out.

You only have to replace the sensor that hits the rotor, for me I just had to replace the front one as the rear wasnt worn to the disc yet.

...Forget about the fact that you have a high tech 4x4 above you, these brakes are as simple as a $3000 Isuzu. An incredibly easy job that can save you plenty of money for all sorts of good fun stuff.

If you are easily offended by squeaking brakes, it might be worth your time to go get some brake quiet(elastomer that reduces high frequency brake vibrations that induce brake squeal placed onthe back of pads)at your local parts store to eliminate any brake squeal before you do the job. <----REALLY GOOD IDEA no one likes squeaky brakes

Last edited by eshew; 02-23-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:20 PM
3rd Gear

Can someone tell me the life expectancy of the rotors on a 2005 LR3. I currently have about 40,000miles on it. The dealer is trying to tell me they need to be replaced. Thanks for your help

Quick Reply: DIY brake pad replacement