LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have adaptive headlights or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do I have adaptive headlights or not?

So we were involved in an accident the other day when a lady ran a red light. Minor damage to the car. It ripped the front bumper cover and gouged the passenger side headlight. The body shop is going to replace the headlight. I went to look at the headlights and one is the adaptive part number and one is the non-adaptive part number. One must have been replaced at one point in time. Is there a way to tell if the vehicle came with adaptive headlights. Tried turning the wheel at night with the lights on the garage door and nothing moved but I wasn't sure if both lights needed to be the adaptive kind in order for the system to work.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:46 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

A few ways you can check short of running the VIN at your dealership:
1. The adaptive headlights "do a little dance" upon startup. Just start it at night with the vehicle pointed at a wall where you can see the illuminance of the lamps.
2. Do you have rain sensing wipers? If you do, then you must have adaptive headlamps. (at least that's how they were packaged in 2005; may've changed).

Unfortunately neither of these are conclusive in that they can only give you a "yes." You could not see the dance per item 1 because of damage from the accident; and you could not see rain sensing wipers because your vehicle didn't have that package.

...but it's a start.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
A few ways you can check short of running the VIN at your dealership:
1. The adaptive headlights "do a little dance" upon startup. Just start it at night with the vehicle pointed at a wall where you can see the illuminance of the lamps.
2. Do you have rain sensing wipers? If you do, then you must have adaptive headlamps. (at least that's how they were packaged in 2005; may've changed).

Unfortunately neither of these are conclusive in that they can only give you a "yes." You could not see the dance per item 1 because of damage from the accident; and you could not see rain sensing wipers because your vehicle didn't have that package.

...but it's a start.
I do have the rain sensing wipers. No dance on startup. I ended up calling the dealer and between parts and service we determined it doesn't have adaptive lights. When the service department ran the VIN it showed the vehicle was equipped with dynamic headlight leveling which was throwing us off but when parts plugged the VIN number in their system it was calling for the standard xenon headlights.

Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Doesn't seem to make sense unless LR de-coupled the rain-sensing wipers and the adaptive headlights.

Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

I do know the 06 I removed the hid projection housings from and installed the plain halogen ones now has a yellow warning on the dash showing a headlight with movment arrows so guess it had em and knows they are gone

the 05 has a fuse in the box with that pic on it but had halogens so I got no clue there

Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't believe the rain sensing wipers have anything to do with adaptive headlights.

Adaptive headlights were part of the LUX package which was only available ON vehicles fitted with the HSE package, as far as I know.

It's possible they were added to another package or were available on their own, but again I think it required the HSE trim.

The headlights will auto-calibrate when the engine is started. Interesting fact, they auto-cal even when the headlights are off.. you can see the lenses moving.

I've had a y-axis servo lock up on my RRS w/ adaptive HL (beam was OUT there lol) and if you restart the car, sure enough the calibration sequence will "zero" the headlights again and fix it.

Anyways. Perhaps a body shop replaced your headlight with one off of an adaptive vehicle, but since your computers are not enabled for adaptive HL fitting it didn't even try to use it, thus no warning lights etc.

Regardless, as your vehicle sits now, it doesn't sound like it has adaptive HL.. either it's been disabled or wasn't fit from the factory. Just grab some bi-xenons and call it a day.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

When doing headlight housings if you have the choice in projection hid or halogens go with the projection, all the difference in the world ESP. When the roads are wet

Old 04-02-2016, 01:29 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have adaptive headlights in my rrs. When I was driving it for the first time tonight I noticed that 1. The headlights are pointed almost at the ground. Can't hardly see a thing in low beam. In hi beam when I turn the wheel the lights cross! Or at least one stays straight and the other shifts from left to right. Anyone know what to do to fix it? Thanks. Phil

Old 04-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
I have adaptive headlights in my rrs. When I was driving it for the first time tonight I noticed that 1. The headlights are pointed almost at the ground. Can't hardly see a thing in low beam. In hi beam when I turn the wheel the lights cross! Or at least one stays straight and the other shifts from left to right. Anyone know what to do to fix it? Thanks. Phil
I believe it's normal for only one headlight to pivot in a turn, but they should NEVER cross because it's the inside headlight that pivots more to the inside. As far as I can tell, the outside light stays more or less straight.