LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshift Jerk from 2nd to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 03:14 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 717 Likes on 603 Posts

Have you checked your rear driveshaft for any play? I had what I thought was the "California stop" issue that so many early L3s had. Well documented. So I figured that was my issue and that I would eventually update the software. But I also found my center bearing support was in rough shape. Since installing the new shaft my issues seems to have disappeared. Its as if there was enough slop in the the shaft that it created a bit of driveline slack. Who knows, I may still need the software updates but one thing is for sure, the shifting issue is a lot less noticeable if at all.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:15 PM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I second (or third, or fourth) the software update. It can be done with the GAP Tool. They will charge you $25 to track down the “correct” update for your vehicle. I had the California stop issue with mine. I thought it hard to believe a 12 year old vehicle at the time wouldn’t be up to date, but it wasn’t.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:38 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 211 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by m_lars
I second (or third, or fourth) the software update. It can be done with the GAP Tool. They will charge you $25 to track down the “correct” update for your vehicle. I had the California stop issue with mine. I thought it hard to believe a 12 year old vehicle at the time wouldn’t be up to date, but it wasn’t.
I'm not exactly close to Cali and never heard that term before,this issue only started about 12 months ago and seems to be getting more frequent.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:43 PM
Camel Trophy

You probably looked it up by now, but a California stop is when someone comes up to where they should stop but instead comes to a slow crawl then accelerates - without actually stopping. So with the LR3 the programing is trying to downshift just as power is suddenly being applied or an upshift is commanded causing a weird hesitation then slam into a gear issue. If one comes to a proper stop its not really an issue.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
You probably looked it up by now, but a California stop is when someone comes up to where they should stop but instead comes to a slow crawl then accelerates - without actually stopping. So with the LR3 the programing is trying to downshift just as power is suddenly being applied or an upshift is commanded causing a weird hesitation then slam into a gear issue. If one comes to a proper stop its not really an issue.
I hadn't but that's pretty much whats happens.

Old 12-14-2019, 11:50 PM
Camel Trophy

Well if tis getting worse then its probably a combination of older fluid and software being needing an update. When was the fluid changed, if ever? I dont have a GAP tool, but I wonder if you can at least see what version of software you have. I wish there was some sorta master list available of software versions but someone might be able to know if yours has bee updated or not.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:18 AM
Pro Wrench

Well if tis getting worse then its probably a combination of older fluid and software being needing an update. When was the fluid changed, if ever? I dont have a GAP tool, but I wonder if you can at least see what version of software you have. I wish there was some sorta master list available of software versions but someone might be able to know if yours has bee updated or not.
I did a fluid flush less than10k ago (klms), box is otherwise smooth as silk but i think the seals need replacing.

Last edited by loanrangie; 12-15-2019 at 02:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:14 AM
Camel Trophy

Proper fluid?

Also I think you can reset trans adaptations with the GAP tool. I won't speak form experience, but some are for and some are against doing this.

Old 12-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Proper fluid?

Also I think you can reset trans adaptations with the GAP tool. I won't speak form experience, but some are for and some are against doing this.
There is an adaptation reset and also a service interval reset. The trans control unit will adapt its programming based on the miles and deterioration of the fluid. If the fluid was changed, the service interval not reset and the programming is not up to date I think we’re zeroing in on the issue.

You can continue to look for other causes, but I wouldn’t spend any more money on anything until you reset the service interval and update the trans control programming.

Quick Reply: Downshift Jerk from 2nd to 1st