LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side higher than passengers side

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side higher than passengers side

After replacing my rear driver side tyre and four wheel alingment with wheel balancing, i discorvered that my passengers side is a bit lower than the drivers side. Pls is it that the hieght variation is from the alingment or my lr3 having height sensor problem

Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was the new tire shaved down to match the other three? How far off is it? Take a tape measure and check the height from floor to center wheel well at all four corners.

Do you have any suspension faults or trouble codes? And where was the work done? What type of lift was used? There's been more than a few compressors and air suspension components that have been damaged due to improper lifting.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 AM
Overlanding

Had a flat tyre before which prompted the change to a new tyre, then suspension fault came up due to bad lifting that affected my compressor and was leta discorvered it was one of the wires ınsıde the comressor box that cuts and the suspension started working after joining the wire, though nw makıng an unusual noise while the suspension is running for for seconds, which i believe is cos of the comressor guied that got broke as a result of bad lifting but the suspension works very perfect. The new tyre was not sheaved cos the other three are almost new. I actually did the alignment at a total fillin station as recommended by a friend. But now my car is not on the same height as the drivers side is hiegher than the passengers.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are there any fault codes currently? And what was done to the compressor after the first lift issue? I'd go back to whomever did the tire/alignment and show them the difference in height. What is the difference BTW?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Overlanding

There is no fault code right nw. The only thing that was done to the compressor was join the wire that cuts, after that the whole thing started working. The difference in height is not that visible if you don't look at the car very well,but when you drive the car you will knw the car height is not the same.i'm thinking of going back to the alignment place but i want to be sure what the posible fault could be so as to be specific.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Measuring from the ground to the top of the wheel arches what do you get ?

I have a 1/2" difference from drivers side to passenger side on the front. That is close enoguh to not monkey with. Some days it is closer to 1/4" and others almost 3/4". I t does vary. When scanned I get that the drivers front height sensor has intermittant faults. One day I will replace as I am convinced that this is where the problem lies.

The road to ruin is chasing minor faults in an LR3

Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_525
The road to ruin is chasing minor faults in an LR3
More accurately the road to ruin is throwing parts at it without stopping to think. Unfortunately not all main dealers have that level of common sense and I am led to believe that there are "incentive" schemes at work to replace first and ask questions later....

Old 11-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Overlanding

Does it that minor faults are inevitable in lr3? What A̶̲̥̅♏ i suppose to do?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Actually, faults are normal.

Leading edge technology has its disadvantages and one is that faults are normal.

We of course hope that the faults are minor and for the most part, they are. That is the thing to realize - regardless of what the message centre or all the lights are indicating, most often the fault is minor but finding and fixing it can be a big deal.

Generally the more lights or the more horrible the error messages are, the lesser the fault is. The 3 is basically a big baby - very limited vocabulary and likes to fuss - most of it unintelligible to all but the parent.

As such, you have to learn as much as you can about your 3 so that when you take it somewhere to be fixed, you can review with them what not to do - like say when changing a rear tyre, jacking on the alloy case of the rear differential as the single lifting point. A 3 is not an F-250, but many think otherwise.

Re getting the 3 level front to back and side to side, that assumes all the sensors are in good condition. By good condition, over time, say five years or more, the sensors should probably be replaced as a maintenance item. The internal rheostats or whatever it is that measures the sensor angle, lose their ability to send the same signal for a given height, (repeatability), and hence the computer gets differing signals for a given condition.

My front sensors I replaced at 50,000 miles, (four years), and the rears, just a week ago at 105,000 miles, (7 years), as the rear was about 3/4" off left to right. All appears within a quarter inch now.