LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivetrain related screech!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023 | 10:55 AM
|
Drifting
Default Drivetrain related screech!?!?

Context, LR3 sat for some time over last 3 years....tried start and drive periodically....but did not maintain that practice regularly. Recently got the brakes fixed(new rear lines, and driver rear hose and front passenger hose, which was the main culprit for spongyness)...and been driving gently last couple days.

Issue: today was driving, and began to hear a ticking noise, not loud, much like some twig or branch got stuck near the prop shaft, or in the strut area and was rubbing a rotating part. Definitely drive shaft related. Stopped and took a quick look, could not see anything. Later, a screech developed very quickly,...again, could not see anything....it was so loud, halted the trip, and slowly returned home. Had the idea to record the sound, so attached is an audio clip.....just in time too......the screech stopped as abruptly as it had started a few m inute before....and went back to ticking. Am thinking wheel bearing.....but this doesn't sound like any wheel bearing failure have experience before....and those usually don't go away. Also thinking parking brake related somehow??? Other than that...stumped...ideas???? Thanks in advance....

Attached Files
File Type: wav
LR3screech12_26.wav (18.57 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by yelxuhf; 12-26-2023 at 11:00 AM. Reason: check attachment
Old 12-26-2023 | 12:38 PM
Camel Trophy

For some reason the file won't open/play. Did it occur upon setting the parking brake?

Old 12-26-2023 | 01:58 PM
|
Drifting

No....I have heard that particular screech before....it doesn't sound like that...it definitely pulsates with the drive rotations.....
....will see if can convert it to an mp3....and try the upload again.....only the first minute needs to be listened too, it does not start back up....

but listen past the stoppage, you can hear the much lighter ticking sound......that had been going for a few miles before the screech began and abruptly stopped after less than a quarter mile....

Thanks for any ideas.....!!!

Attached Files
File Type: mp3
LR3screech12_26.mp3 (1.68 MB, 5 views)
Old 12-26-2023 | 03:24 PM
Camel Trophy

Hmmm...stuck brake caliper perhaps? Did you touch each rotor to see if any were extra hot?

Old 12-26-2023 | 04:58 PM
Camel Trophy

Audio worked that time. Let us not rule out there being TWO sources of the sounds. The ticking may be unrelated to the screeching. The screech almost sounds like a pissed off parking brake actuator, but its rhythmic so I say no. But I do feel it is parking brake related. Do you ever use the parking brakes? If not, I would dig into that first. Remove both rear rotors and inspect. If there is an issue, it will be obvious.

Old 12-27-2023 | 08:37 AM
|
Drifting

OK didn't think of that....will give that a try today....thanks!

Old 12-27-2023 | 08:56 AM
|
Drifting

Yes.....thats a good point....I remember changing the trans fluid and then the trans was slipping shifts....thought for sure had done something wrong....
it turned out to be a lever/actuator that did not touch during the fluid change.....once adjusted, shifted fine!

Agreed, that was my first thought on the screech....it does sort of sound like the well known parking brake screech....but it is rythmic....

Just thought of another possibility...was replacing the brake lines and hoses because needed the LR3 due to daily driver going down, so was working in a backyard, on grass....where it was stored....in winter weather.....lets just say job was hurried.....and left the old lines in place.....now when I looked, did not see anything anywhere near a wheel or rotating surface...but this was on the side of a road...actually did tape up and move the lines a bit.....in case that was the cause....but possibly one of the old lines fell and accessed the propshaft, that would explain the ticking.....then possibly it got caught more securely, and was whipped around somehow....and was dragged across a heat shield....that actually does sound reasonable to the screech......need to jack it up and really get under there...

If still cannot positively confirm its a wayward brake line....will pull the rotors and check on the parking brake idea......have the parking brake disabled, it was acting up....plan after storage was to replace the rear control arms....and tackle the parking brake at that point...once have garage access.....

Thanks for input.....much appreciated....