LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easiest way to replace heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 05:46 PM
Mudding
Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Easiest way to replace heater core?

I’ve tended to mostly lurk here in the past and surf (= read) advice for my D3 V8 but be more active on the UK forum.

I’ve got a MY05 LHD that I’m trying to figure out how to easiest replace the heater matrix on. Flushing it didn’t help (much) and the driver’s side is lukewarm at best. Winter is coming…

I did look on TOPIx, even paid for some of the instructions but they all start with “remove the driver’s door, remove dashboard”, etc. etc. which sounds very tedious and labor intensive even if one’s own time is free. 😂

Anyway, I’ve got a replacement unit from Nissens where the pipes and the unit itself are separate. I’m also assuming that the MY05 has a core where the pipes aren’t welded on. The intent is not to f… mess with the pipe work but only change the core itself.

How much does one truly have to remove, preferably non-destructively as I’m not interested in taking dremel to the plastic on the passenger side) to get decent access to the heater core?

I assume the following (in some kind of actual order)
  • Pull gearbox handle
  • remove H fascia
  • remove central console
  • Remove top panel with emergency blinkers/door locking mechanism
  • remove CD changer
  • remove AC control panel
  • remove cigarette tray
  • Remove lower glove box
  • Remove upper glove box
once I have removed all the equipment from the center panel what else needs removing? There seems to be, in the pictures, some kind of structural support behind it - is that removable once the above are done or does something else need to be removed as well? How does one remove the plastic side fascia on the passenger side?

Truly appreciate any assistance.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:00 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Default No Easy Way

I have replaced two within the last 2 years. The first one I took short cuts by bending back the center console and pry past the right side lower dash frame. It was difficult.
The second one, I followed the service manual and took everything off, and although it was more work, it was easier and did not take that much longer.

IF (no, when) I do it again, I will follow the service manual and take everything apart.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jeff