LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU update for switch new compressor (AMK)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU update for switch new compressor (AMK)

I just replaced my old Hitachi compressor with the newsest AMK unit. It may be a couple weeks before I can get it in to get the ECU updated. Would it be alright to drive it for now? Will I get any ECU related suspension fault codes until I get it updated? I'd hate to mess up a brand new compressor. Thanks.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:00 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flwoodsman78
I just replaced my old Hitachi compressor with the newsest AMK unit. It may be a couple weeks before I can get it in to get the ECU updated. Would it be alright to drive it for now? Will I get any ECU related suspension fault codes until I get it updated? I'd hate to mess up a brand new compressor. Thanks.
What i did in the interim when i did mine was this: turn engine off and then turn it on again, turn wheel fully to the right, then turn fully to the left and then back to the middle again, turn engine off and then on again.

This should reset the warnings; it did to mine.

On the point of messing up your compressor, i would probably just drive it in normal mode at reasonable speed until you sort it out.

good Luck

Old 09-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It will not damage the compressor, however it will throw faults if the compressor runs for a period of time, longer then just the initial top off it does at start up.

The biggest difference in the software is temperature monitoring. The AMK uses internal control for the motor temp, which is not reported back to the ECU like the Hitachi. So if it runs to the point where temperature should change, and the ECU sees a difference in value between motor and compressor temp inputs, a fault will be thrown.

There are other changes in the software too, such as exhaust valve strategy, but nothing that will be detrimental for a short period of time.