LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlin

Hi all,

I have a small current draw, I think. If I let the Rover sit for 10+ days, the battery flattens, or at least has a diminished voltage. I switched to an AGM not too long ago, that didn't help. The alternator and starter tested out fine at the battery shop, as did the battery itself.

I'm getting the battery fully re-charged at the shop this time, and they are going to run some additional tests, including one for a "parasitic draw." Hopefully that will narrow it down for me. Maybe it's a battery cable...or some other wire. Maybe it's a relay that is stuck open...

...anyone have any similar experiences that they can share? If I can narrow down my troubleshooting that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
-Houm

Old 11-15-2017, 10:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Really? No one has experienced this? I can go a week with no problems, but going two weeks without firing up the vehicle and my battery is below 10V. All relays test good. Most fuses check good. Battery is not fried.

...just slowly draws down but only over a long period of time.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:55 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Sorry, no. You have a parasite for sure.

we have a shop truck that’s goes 2-4 weeks in between starts without issue.

Old 11-16-2017, 02:52 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same issue. My disco would not crank this morning. Was home sick for 4 days. Went out to crank the 3 week old battery and nothing. Have had this issue since I got the disco in Sept. Replaced fuses. Ugh..

Old 11-16-2017, 05:23 PM
Camel Trophy

I have a trickle charger and all that....but that's a band aid and it pisses me off.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Funny that you mentioned that. I also discovered that I have a parasitic draw somewhere. I don't really drive as much as I used to, but this alone should not be a main cause of battery drainage.
Never really had that problem before, at least not during my 11 years of ownership. When last Monday I observed a special programs off message on dashboard , I have immediately placed a battery as a main suspect. Next afternoon when I checked voltage it was already 11.69.As I took a supervising position on Statue of Liberty construction project, I commute with another supervisor to cut cost of tolls and such, so I don't drive everyday anymore, well, today when I checked my voltage it was already down to 9.59.
I have already purchased a new battery , but will recondition the drained int today just to put it back in, in case I don't find a main suspect of parasitic drew. I recently purchased a whole set of new LED lights for PowerfulUK as I wanted some more brightness inside the car.As they did not have a full set I had to source a set of fuse like looking bulbs for a overhead Rosen DVD lights from Amazon.Those LEDs would be my main suspect for now. Another thing that I have installed is a Mudtech 4x4 suspension module that allows me to raise LR3 for off road use.We'll see...

Old 11-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Rock Crawling

What I also have changed is the hood latch with integrated sensor and from frustration, I have removed a little rubber piece that was installed on the bottom of the catcher. Now I wonder it this could be a cause of additional drainage.Hmmm..

Old 11-17-2017, 07:17 PM
Camel Trophy

Your draw is a lot more drastic than mine....but at least you have some suspects. My vehicle is quite stock, or at least has not changed in years. I have a block heater added but it doesn't get powered by the battery. I have off-road lights but I've had those for 12 years. My draw is small, I have been measuring voltage and after 11 days it was still at 12.38V or so.

I did have an air compressor put in. It goes direct to the battery. Maybe that's it. It's been in there a while but this problem has a lot of moving parts....the install of the compressor (potentially) AND my changing driving habits. Could be that the compressor was drawing power since jump but I didn't notice it because I drove more often; now I don't.

Maybe I'll disconnect that **** and see if anything changes....

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM
Rock Crawling

I will take all interior LEDs out today and go from there.
Next will be a hood latch sensor, but again I don't usually lock my Rover, so i don't know if this could be a cause of the excessive drainage. Will install a new Negative cable today just to alleviate a potential suspect.

Old 11-20-2017, 01:04 PM
Camel Trophy

I've thought about that negative cable, myself....

Quick Reply: Electrical Gremlin