LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical issues - HDC Fault, Trans Fault, etc

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 05:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electrical issues - HDC Fault, Trans Fault, etc

Hello All, so about a month ago, some water got into the lr3 from a leaking cowl and down through the HVAC filter area. I have fixed that by making a small shield. I have a ton of other issues that are persisting and I am out of ideas. I got all of the water out, completely dried out the carpet and such, cut out some of the wires that had a crappy splice, soldered in new wire with heat shrink. My issues are Parking Brake Fault, HDC Fault with special programs not available, and transmission fault. Parking brake will sometime disengage, but when re-engaging makes a horrible sound. From what I have seen, looks like it needs to be adjusted, which is weird because it never had an issue. I can move the shifted into reverse, neutral and drive, but nothing happens. When going to put it back into park, it makes a clicking/grinding noise. I can't select any of the terrain controls, and the air suspension will not move. I do not have the Gap tool, only an iCarsoft scanner I had from my D2. We've put roughly 60k miles on this thing and love it, this is really the first main issue I have had. I had leaking sunroof drains before, but that has been fixed for a long time, and tested them when this happened and zero leaks from them. I am at a loss. I scanned it multiple times, with lots of codes, and they all seem to be based upon "lost communication" with several modules. Does anyone else have any ideas what could have happened? My brake lights do work so I don't think it would be the brake light switch, and I can't see the CJB getting wet from where the water came in from? Any help? I'm trying to save the vehicle to keep it, but the wife just wants to sell it as is and get something newer at this point. Thank you all.

Edit: took a look at the Transfer Case Control Module. It had some corrosion, so cleaned it all up, put it back in. It didn't do anything, and to top if off, now the volume control will no work on the radio and the nav just stays at the Land Rover screen,.

Last edited by mpoo1083; 09-26-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 11-03-2020, 06:13 PM
8th Gear

How are you getting on? I have a very similar problem.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:33 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by overlandrover110
How are you getting on? I have a very similar problem.
So to give an update/solution. The issue with mine was the TCCM went bad. It got water in it, a lot of corrosion and burned it out. I bought a used one as some suggested on another page, but that had to be programmed to the vehicle as well.

The following users liked this post:
overlandrover110 (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 03:53 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by mpoo1083
So to give an update/solution. The issue with mine was the TCCM went bad. It got water in it, a lot of corrosion and burned it out. I bought a used one as some suggested on another page, but that had to be programmed to the vehicle as well.
Thank you for the closure, and glad you got it sorted. Did you program it using and IID?

Old 11-05-2020, 07:39 AM
Three Wheeling

I did not. I took it to a shop that specializes in land rovers that isn't too far from me. Although, I will be buying the Gap tool at this point, haha.

Old 12-13-2020, 08:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you isolate the TCCM as the issue?

Old 12-13-2020, 08:36 PM
Three Wheeling

Mine was very easy visual inspection. I un-installed it, opened it up and there was corrosion everywhere and a lot of burnt circuits on it. Cleaned it up and a couple of the symptoms went away. Aside from that, most of my faults had a lot to do with a loss of communication that had to deal with the functions of the TCCM.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I pulled the box the houses the TCCM, and I am having a hell of a time getting the connectors off. Any suggestions on getting the TCCM out?

Old 12-16-2020, 02:56 PM
Three Wheeling

Looks what I found.