LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine System Fault.....Again

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 08:04 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine System Fault.....Again

Howdy!

This started 2 weeks ago with my 2006 LR3 4.4L SE - Got the timing chains, VVT sprockets and VVT solenoids done... along with new radiator ($5k of work)
Was driving home..about 100 mile trip and a message popped up -Engine System Fault- and the CEL light popped up. Was close to an AutoZone and pulled in. Called the shop where I got the work done and let them know what was up. Had AutoZone scan the truck and I had numerous misfires 2,3,5,7. Couldn't clear them so I dove home with the truck running pretty good.
Got home, pulled out my GapIID Tool and cleared all the codes. Ran around the block and since it was late went to bed. Next morning I drove the truck all over with no CEL or messages coming up.
Last week I had the battery light come on and there was a loud fan noise with limited power from the truck while driving. Parked it and went down to AutoZone with my battery, checked out, so I got a new alternator. Replaced and all is fine.
Yesterday, I drove to San Antonio and the truck ran great, not a single problem. On the way home tho, I got the -Engine System Fault- then -Cruise Control Not Permitted- and the car lost power, but was still running. I coasted off the highway and pulled over. Turned the truck off and sat there cursing to the gods! I started the truck back up and it ran absolutely fine all the way back home and today with my 3 mini trips I took it on (no more than 50 miles)
My question is... has anyone else had this happen?
I replaced the Walmart battery that was bought in 2017 by the previous owner and got an Interstate MTX-49 H8 and installed when got back home. I also cleaned the MAF sensor and Throttle Body as best as I could. I also replaced the brake light switch a while back.
Anyone with any insight would be greatly appreciated before I take it to my favorite shop and have them keep it and try to replicate it...

Last edited by DillJLoc; 01-04-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:48 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Random issues are usually electrical related. Such as corroded connections, bad grounds, etc. And with these trucks a low power situation can cause all sorts of seemingly random events. I would check all the grounds and clean them, including the engine ground under the passenger wheel liner. The other major one being the negative battery lead at the body. Of course you also want to check for water entry. Lift the carpet next to the rocker covers and check for moisture. The carpet itself can be dry as the pads are pretty thick, so it really is best to pull it up. You may need to remove the small kick-panel. If there is water entry, you need to figure out where its coming from. Could be leaking exterior a-pillar trim, windshield cowl warpage or sunroof drains. In some situations the water can run down the back of the junction box. Another place to look is at the computers behind the battery. Regular batteries vent and there is a tube in the battery bay that must be hooked up. If not then the venting can aid in corroding the connections to the computers. Takes a long time for this to happen, but it can as has been documented.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:20 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the reply. When it first happened the weather was dry and the second the weather was wet. I did the A Pillar fix from Land Rover that involves the kit with taping over the holes for the trim. I also replaced the cowl with a new one.
It boggles me that this happened after such a hefty amount of work, but things happen.
I replaced the battery and alternator and am getting 12.7 before starting and 14.4 when started.
I will go through all the items you listed and give a good going over.

The following users liked this post:
Zubair Warsi (03-16-2020)
Old 01-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

Voltages look great. So I doubt there is an issue there.

Water, once it gets into a location, will stay there for a long time and do its thing. I had a car that went through a puddle. It sat as a side project for almost a year yet I still found water under the rear carpets. As for the kit, I assume you also remove the plastic pins from the trim? If not, they just punch holes in the tape that gets placed and there is still a water entry issue. Horrible design.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:30 PM
Drifting

I’ll start going through all the areas and checking for water.
Seems funny a truck that’s meant to go anywhere is not very water tight or resistant.
Yeah, I cut the pins on the pillar trim down and sanded all the way down. Put on and pulled off to make sure they wouldn’t put holes in the tape.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Drifting

Well, I might have figured something out because it didn't act up today.
So far since the -Engine System Fault- occurred I have done the following:

BG44K Fuel System Additive
New Interstate 900 CCA Battery
Cleaned MAF and Throttle Body
Replaced burnt out parking light bulbs

Today we drove to Austin...there and back (bout 180 mile round trip) and not a single problem.
Fingers crossed I'm onto something

Old 01-06-2019, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Your voltages sound much better than mine on Thursday. Battery 5.9v alternator output 0

Old 01-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Damn, Gina! You in store for a new battery and alternator?

Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,588 Likes on 1,304 Posts

Charged the battery replaced the Alternator. Good times lol.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah. It’s Miller Time!
I was surprised how easy it was to replace the alternator, considering it’s location.

Quick Reply: Engine System Fault.....Again