LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPB - what lay ahead and what is the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EPB - what lay ahead and what is the issue?

So I'm going to have to tackle the EPB. I know there are several points of failure with these, but to make sure it's solved I'd like to find out the root cause. And yes, I've done some reading on this but figure I'd ask since I'm a little confused.

Right now, on the dash, is a flashing red brake warning. There is no "PB fault message". Once I activate the brake, the error comes up followed by the yellow parking brake light. Releasing the brake also causes the yellow light to appear. Shutting off the car clears the yellow light. Flashing red remains.I don't have any loud squeaking or god awful noises coming from the brake.

Therefore...I am trying to get a basis for what is the actual issue...

1) can I assume the manual release has been triggered? If not what happens if I pull this?
2) If there is no grinding noise, do I assume the gears are stripped?
3) The GAP tool (with image below) has run the unjam procedure. No effect.
4) Could I assume seized shoes that have caused?

I am thinking of fixing this in situ, but are there any other issues that this could be (ie. wiring - which I have seen is a possible problem too).

Old 02-26-2022, 11:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 731 Likes on 613 Posts

1 - The manual release is a one-way event. Meaning it releases the parking brake but if the parking brake is activated again, that release is reset because the way the motor drive works with the cables. Its also pretty much just a hardware level release, meaning the EPB can not really sense when it happens, sorta.

2 - Not sure what you mean, even if the gears are stripped (and they likely are) there will be some motorized sound you can still hear when trying to use it, if its working at all.

3 - Yeah, not much help if the system has a defect. Wont work.

4 - Never assume until you look. I had one side that looked new, one side that was trashed. I still done have a working EPB, I took the shoes off and disabled the whole thing for now. I do want it working cause I off-road.

Really you need to just start by getting to the rear parking brake shoes and inspecting what is going on. From there you can at least see how the cables are acting and if seized up by something. Don't forget GAP can also set service mode, which would also cause the EPB module to put slack in the cables. If you hear nothing during that too you likely have a wider issue. You could actually have a damaged EPB module in the back, happens if the EPB issues are ignored for too long and the system is not fully disabled.

Old 03-05-2022, 05:45 PM
Mudding

So managed to get to the rears today. Here is what I found. Drivers side shoes were normal and they were not seized or stiff. Passenger side was ok too, but the arm that connects to the parking brake cables was solid. No movement.

I totally forgot to put the EPB into service mode :/

cables have no play/ slack and seem ok.

so what should I do now? I have replacement shoes on the way but I won’t be able to get to this until later in March.

I am not supposed to test the epb without shoes, correct. ?

Old 03-05-2022, 06:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, pull the fuse for the EPB in the engine box, large pink one. Ideally you would just remove all the hardware, freshen it up and then install it all back when you can get to them. Then find Brody's Brake Bible and follow that for install/calibration.

Old 03-05-2022, 06:57 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Yeah, pull the fuse for the EPB in the engine box, large pink one. Ideally you would just remove all the hardware, freshen it up and then install it all back when you can get to them. Then find Brody's Brake Bible and follow that for install/calibration.
ok.

when you say remove all the hardware does that mean a total removal of the box, the wires etc? Or are you just referring to removing the main box and checking the gears etc?

or even, as some have done, in situ and remove the main motor?

Old 03-05-2022, 06:59 PM
Camel Trophy

Huh? No... just the braking hardware and secure cables with cable ties. Or just leave everything as is so long as its not binding on the rotors.

Old 03-05-2022, 07:07 PM
Mudding

Ok understood. Just put it back without the brake shoes for now And pull out the epb cables and secure them.

just a question - what happens if the epb is pulled with shoes attached?

I remember there was a post where abran had a customer that had him remove the Epb functionally altogether - no shoes but just tied the cables up neatly.

what do I need to do to EPB though to get rid of the error? Or you think it’s jus the stuck shoe that was causing the issue?

Old 03-05-2022, 07:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Never said to pul out the cables. Just cable tie the ends to the knuckles before putting the rotor back on. There is a flat spot the cables will sit in to keep form sliding around.

If EPB is pulled with shoes attached then the shoed are applied. Error can be caused by multiple issues. Rebuild and see what happens, probably work fine if you follow the brake bible.