LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EXPERTS.....what gives here??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:12 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXPERTS.....what gives here??

My 2005 LR3 lost timing on it's 4.0L V6, so we sourced a used motor for it.

Testing after installation found a lack of perfection, which turned out to be a broken valve spring...meaning that a head needs to come off.

The Problem is that nobody seems willing to touch this 4.0L head; not the mechanic doing my work, not an indi in Pensacola, not a Ford dealer, and not our LR dealer.

The re-cycler is ready to chip in for this repair, but it seems that Kryptonite is less of a problem.

What do YOU experts know about these motors? Are they throw-aways, or do you have another idea???

Old 10-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh? It's just a Ford motor and heads found in Explorers, F150's and Mustangs. What's the reasoning behind their refusal to work on it?

Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ghengis86
Huh? It's just a Ford motor and heads found in Explorers, F150's and Mustangs. What's the reasoning behind their refusal to work on it?
I don't have that answer, and that's the question. Even the Ford dealer's wrenches said the same thing (according to my mechanic that asked him, because a payday results from production...not from quitting)

My mechanic is a 30-year shop with good people and good knowledge...and he's shopping answers as we speak. My post is meant to try to help him and the re-cycler and, ultimately, my truck.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem is no one wants to be responsible for taking apart a used engine. How mechanically inclined are you? Think that is the question at hand

Old 10-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
The problem is no one wants to be responsible for taking apart a used engine. How mechanically inclined are you? Think that is the question at hand
That's what I was thinking, not that the shops are physically unable to perform a head job. Though I don't know how that's any different from a used car mechanic taking apart any engine; they're all used. But with this one, maybe they don't want the liability of an LR job?

Maybe new heads?

Here's a link to buy a new head, $179:
2006 Ford Mustang Cylinder Head 4.0L (SOHC), Driver Side (Birmingham, Alabama, UKK20374Z, Very Good, $176.00 )

and here:
Ford Mazda Mercury 4.0 Liter SOHC V6 Cylinder Head Right Side - Mechanic's Select Cylinder Heads

and here:
2006 Ford Mustang Used Cylinder Head (Genuine OEM Quality)

Old 10-15-2012, 09:08 PM
Mudding

Unfortunately, my taking apart and building engines ended with 327 V-8s and 535iS engines that didn't have the black boxes controlling their lifeblood.

I'm not sure that I agree with your thought that they don't want a liability issue, because I agree with you that.......it would seem...to be a simple thing to remove a head and replace a valve spring.

What are we missing?

P.S. ALL (100%) of engines that are worked on are Used...so that can't be a reason that mechanics don't want to go there, eh?

Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by bamaboy473

What are we missing?
I have no idea, but definitely something.
The procedure in the manual doesn't look too hard...

Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by ghengis86
I have no idea, but definitely something.
The procedure in the manual doesn't look too hard...
The dealer's tech expert is posting a question on their Tech board today, so either we'll learn that the motors are easily repaired, or not.

I'm going to the shop today and try to get a clearer understanding about why he and the other shop are in a, "hands off", mode.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bamaboy473
Unfortunately, my taking apart and building engines ended with 327 V-8s and 535iS engines that didn't have the black boxes controlling their lifeblood.

I'm not sure that I agree with your thought that they don't want a liability issue, because I agree with you that.......it would seem...to be a simple thing to remove a head and replace a valve spring.

What are we missing?

P.S. ALL (100%) of engines that are worked on are Used...so that can't be a reason that mechanics don't want to go there, eh?
yes all engines are used. but when you show up with one that you purchased and say "hey can you fix A & B?" when A & B are not the problem or there are other associated problems they do not want to be held responsible. Without letting them diagnose and report back to you with what they think you need and doing the work, no one will hold that liability over their head. Especially if it's something they never worked on like a tech from a different brand.

there is plenty of good tech info on the LR3 engine on the web. sadly this forum isn't one of them.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Mudding

yes all engines are used. but when you show up with one that you purchased and say "hey can you fix A & B?" when A & B are not the problem or there are other associated problems they do not want to be held responsible. Without letting them diagnose and report back to you with what they think you need and doing the work, no one will hold that liability over their head. Especially if it's something they never worked on like a tech from a different brand.

there is plenty of good tech info on the LR3 engine on the web. sadly this forum isn't one of them.
Actually, this engine surprise will fall to the Southern Star Auto Re-cycling people to approve the diagnosis/repair, or to source me another engine, or to refund my money and leave me to source another one.

I'm letting the recycle yard make that call, and pay the repair bill if they choose to go that route.