LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014 | 12:38 PM
Baja

That's what I figured, when I asked my rover tech if I had to go to dealer for alignment he said no but depending how out it was he might need to reset the steering angle sensor when I got it back

I would make the assumption that anything sensor wise on this vehicle needs some sort of calibration or system reset when replaced, ESP in the steering suspension abs area

Old 12-16-2014 | 02:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Steering Angle Sensor and Wheel Speed Sensor are two different items, right?

Old 12-16-2014 | 04:43 PM
Baja

Yes they are, there's also height sensors at each corner
You are driving a computer, lots of sensors

Old 12-16-2014 | 07:54 PM
Overlanding

At last. After 7 weeks of hell. A split cable under rear passenger door rail. Apparently the factory punch cables instead of soldering them when they extend the cables. Thhis cable was completly separated from one another.

So, next time open your truck and start following the cables to find the root to your problems.

Yes. We were using a T4 from the begining and the steeering angle was calibrated as well as the suspension height sensors. We borrow an abs module from another unit, but the errors were still there. Therefore, that is why we started following all the back bone of cables throughout the interior. Eureka.

Old 12-17-2014 | 12:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Repair cost minimal; cost to find the problem, astronomical.

Welcome to the reality of owning a Land Rover.

You are to be congratulated just the same for your perseverance and ultimate success.

I am not certain just what system was the problem. I guess the solution was reconnecting one or more conductors however.

I gather that a conductor located on the frame rail under the rear drivers side passenger door had broken at a factory cable connection? I assume this was somewhere in the area of the air compressor location?

I also assume that the conductor was something to do with the wheel sensor height wiring or perhaps the signal wiring related to the compressor?

As usual with Land Rover, the cost to fix the problem was minimal however the time and effort to find the problem, astronomical.

Thanks for the update by the way - it is appreciated.

Last edited by bbyer; 12-18-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2014 | 11:56 PM
Camel Trophy

yeah....I'm well educated in the height sensors!

Old 04-29-2019 | 09:39 PM
1st Gear
Default What cable ?

What cable did you have to fix ? What is the name? Which error did it fix? I have hdc not available. Come on when I turn the steering wheel. 2005 lr3

Originally Posted by gtiturbolr3
At last. After 7 weeks of hell. A split cable under rear passenger door rail. Apparently the factory punch cables instead of soldering them when they extend the cables. Thhis cable was completly separated from one another.

So, next time open your truck and start following the cables to find the root to your problems.

Yes. We were using a T4 from the begining and the steeering angle was calibrated as well as the suspension height sensors. We borrow an abs module from another unit, but the errors were still there. Therefore, that is why we started following all the back bone of cables throughout the interior. Eureka.

Old 02-18-2022 | 07:32 PM
4wd High

Originally Posted by windyspirit
I read in one of the blogs that the 'transmission fault' error may come on if the brake switch is faulty or the brake lights do not work. Then I thought "I don't think that makes sense" but thought to look, what the heck as the error kept coming on as soon as I applied the brakes but I thought it was the ABS. Lo and behold, my brake lights are not working! When fiddling with the brake switch behind the brake pedal, the lights worked, the fault error disappeared.

Later the fault error came back. I stopped, checked and fiddled with the brake switch again and the fault error disappeared. I went to the dealer to get a new switch but they were closed (on a Saturday). The fault error was back when I applied the brakes. I decided to lightly lubricate the brake switch (damper style switch) with 'chap stick'.

NO MORE ERROR!!!!!!!
would a faulty switch show abs failure on a particular wheel?
mine shows sensor left front- which I replaced along with a new hub/bearing.. and the light still comes on. Now with a sensor “a” issue and trans temp warning- after sitting in -20’c

Old 02-18-2022 | 10:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Set of brake contacts leading to the ABS module gets fouled.

Originally Posted by Nick Andrew
would a faulty switch show abs failure on a particular wheel?
mine shows sensor left front- which I replaced along with a new hub/bearing.. and the light still comes on. Now with a sensor “a” issue and trans temp warning- after sitting in -20’c
I am not certain about showing a fault in a particular wheel but the switch is connected to the ABS circuit per the attached pdf wiring diagram following the pictures. Note highlighted connector C00075-3 and follow it thru the Brake Light Switch to the ABS module. Replacing the switch is do it yourself, clean hands and cheap - see attached link to files in my gallery for instructions. I see that file has over seven thousand views now. https://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thu...php?album=5082

I had what appeared to be a defective ABS module that turned out not to be a defective wheel sensor but a corroded conductor to the wheel sensor. That was difficult to find as the connector was hidden up in the left front wheel well. Land Rover moved the three connectors by about model year 2007 however.

The first picture shows the black dust that fouls the ABS set of contacts. The dust comes from arcing of the high current brake light contacts and fouls the milliamp signal contacts to the ABS providing an intermittent signal to the ABS. The second jpg shows the dual contacts.

Regardless, before I put any more effort into working the ABS problem, I would replace the brake light switch as it will need replacement at some time. I have over 400,000 km on my 3 now and have replaced it twice and that was a few yeas back - the replacement Ford switches may now have better contacts that do not dust to the degree that the original switches did.

Attached Files
Old 02-18-2022 | 10:57 PM
4wd High

Wow thanks for the detail.
I had the front fender liner pulled and examined the connector to the abs sensor wire and it looked ok?
I took the brake light switch out and will see if I can pick one up tomorrow. Dealer or is aftermarket ok?
truck has 288k on it so it’s doing good. First real repair in 2 years of owning( other than maintenance items) although I’m now under the impression that bearings are a common “maintenance” item

Quick Reply: First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!