LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!

Driving slow after dinner behind some traffic all of a sudden the dash looks like a Xmas tree and info screen says "HDC transmission fault stop safely". I pull over and shut off and get out. The suspension was pretty low, like how you set it if you want to lower it to get out. I did a soft reset(on/off the key 3 times and then start) and then I hit the suspension to raise up and it did, with no problem, to the normal height. I drove 30 miles home with no issues. Anyone have some insight?? 2005 LR3 v8.Please help if you can.....Thanks.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!

First time I hear of that message. Hopefully someone will chime in soon with an answer. I'm curious myself.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I 've had similar experience with my 05 lr3 hse.IT happened in October.As I was pulling out of my driveway most of my lights came on such as suspension fault ,transmission fault stop safely,traction control ,HDC light ,ABS and something else that I can't recall know .
Than I stoped the engine,waited mayby a minute restarted raised the suspension to off -road,lowered to normal and drove off to work with no problems.
Car had 48200 on so I have made a call to dealership regarding that particular evant.While working on my car they discovered that clutch actuator was stuck also somehow related diff.locking motor had to be calibrated ,existing modules configurated,clutch actuator replaced.Hope that helps.

Old 11-22-2008, 03:06 PM
Drifting

that's what happened to us. I drove today and hasn't come on. Normal. How long did you drive itafter that before getting it in to the dealer? How many miles on yours now? Are you out of warranty now?

Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi,
Drove for two days - about 140 miles - before taking my LR3 to the dealership. As of right now, I'm out of warranty - past 50k as of this weekend. When I called LR adviser for an extended warranty quote they came up with an estimate of $4000 for 2 years or 24K extra miles. That's not even LR assured. It's a third party insurer called Continental. They also told me that when you wait that long to extend your warranty 100K miles threshold is not even offered anymore.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Drifting

I am not worried b/c $4000 is a alot fora 2 year "insurance" policy when you think about it. I may go with a better battery...I was told that mine could be weal and that when I was driving slow that the compressor could have been in use and was putting a load on the battery. Some say that better/bigger battery will prevent some of the nuances that occur with the electrics...I am thinking of going with a Optima battery

Old 12-01-2008, 12:40 PM
8th Gear

ORIGINAL: aircraftguy

... I did a soft reset(on/off the key 3 times and then start) ....
Hey you learn something every day! I didn't know there was a reset option other than turning the car off, waiting, and starting it up again.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
4wd High

Ditto, neither did I. Thanks!!

btw, I experienced the same thing as thorgal. Took my 05 LR3 in and the service guy said it was most likely caused by a weak battery.
Had it replaced and haven't run into the problem ever since.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the air suspension harness under the spare (or rathe above it) is prone to a connection (lug) turning into a frosty ( corrosion) there is a layover harness but to be honest with you if you know how to soider and got a little flux i wouldnt buy the layover. just make sure that you shrink tape and use dielectric grease on the finished repair. check and see if the pump recall is applicable to the air suspension pump..... scott

Old 01-24-2009, 05:53 PM
3rd Gear

06 LR3- same thing happened to me. Transmission fault. pulled over shut off car, started up, and drove fine. Also had ABS warning light come on at different times as well as suspension fault lights. Happened about 4 more times. Took it back to dealer 1 week after purchasing, and they said could be a bad battery. Replaced the battery and cleared codes. Also replaced compressor for suspension. A couple of days later transmission fault 2 more times. I debated giving them the car back- was this to be an indicator of repeated problems? They replaced rear differential motor and actuator. No problems since. Warranty service was great- my husband was driving a hummer h3 as the rental- confirming again why we bought the Rover! Love my truck! Excellent service from the dealer in Hoffman Estates, IL. No regrets other than not buying one sooner!

Quick Reply: First issue...HDC Transmission fault...help please!