LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First post... looking to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 08:13 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Default First post... looking to buy.

Hi there, I am looking at a 07 HSE with 100,000 miles on it. Truck seems great and I will be getting a pre inspection at stealership before buying but I had a couple of questions for you guys... assuming the suspension doesn't leak, I have heard that as long as the ride height is in the normal position if the compressor goes, it all good and can be driven that way. Can the compressor fuse just be pulled to avoid any potential future situation? Or will the system eventually bleed own regardless. I did not see any lights on when I took it for it's initial run today but tbh didn't know where fault lights would be.

Also, vehicle doesn't come with booklets so is there an online tutorial on the operation of the center air suspension console? Or any of the other systems...lol

Thanx for your help...

Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 455 Likes on 406 Posts

I don't think you need to be that fearful of the air suspension. It needs maintenance but when it's functioning it's a great feature. You can pull the appropriate fuses and roll around in Normal height. You'd have a fault light permanently on and if I remember correctly an aural alert too (bing bong every few minutes) but it would technically be feasible. I think other integrated systems on the vehicle would be unhappy, though, as well.

Get that inspection, and during your test drive make sure the EAS works, check for bushings being worn and differential "humming" at speed. Also exercise the Electronic Park Brake and make sure it works; rear hatch too. If all that checks out A-OK...I think it's the right one!

The following users liked this post:
EastCoast (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 06:46 AM
Winching

Thanx for the reply... is the electronic e brake a pricey fix?

Old 05-19-2016, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Depends on the problem, the e brake can seize from non use, shoes fall apart , that's about it

Also check pass front floor good for wet carpet, these are plauged with electrical issues coming from clogged sunroof drains soaking that floor and the wire harness there

Air ride is responsive not passive best to repair and use it

V8 is a plus, 18" rims are. A plus, hse should have rear locker and matching spare rim

Most important thing after wet floor is real maintenance records, by now all fluids should have been serviced and a tuneup, and a arm bushings, all things dealer needs to check

All that work needs to have been done at dealer or rover specialty shop not jiffy lube

EastCoast (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 10:03 AM
Camel Trophy

Tom, what do you mean by "hse should have rear locker and matching spare rim"...???

Old 05-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Winching

Here in Canada at least we can't get access to dealer service records unless you are the registered owner... something about privacy concerns?! Kinda silly if you ask me....
I will be taking it to the same dealership where it was traded to and where, hopefully, ti was maintained. I did find out that the last guy that took this truck to the dealer to be checked over was very upset by the report he was given. I am expecting there to be issues as this is an as is traded deal... $8000. I can afford for there to be some things wrong and get them fixed at a more reasonable shop rate. Is there anything that would be a deal breaker?

Thanx again for all your help.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Hse should have a full size matching spare and electric locker in back rear from factory

Anything can be a deal breaker if you can't work on it yourself

I would also run a carfax, they usually list dealer service

Old 05-19-2016, 03:41 PM
Camel Trophy

Why should he have that? Not all HSEs come with that option.

Old 05-19-2016, 05:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

HD package means e-locker at rear. Not necessarily HSE

Get it inspected by dealer, do whatever you can to pull as many records as possible. FWIW mine had perfect records but carfax was a waste of time, it barely showed anything beyond the major service every few years.

houm_wa (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Is there anything that would be a deal breaker?
Not having rain gutters.

Quick Reply: First post... looking to buy.