LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

former 2003 Disco Ii owner thinking about '05-07 LR3...should I do it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 10:39 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default former 2003 Disco Ii owner thinking about '05-07 LR3...should I do it?

Had an 03 Disco II. Loved it, except for the reliability and service cost, esp. At 90K. Head gaskets finally did me in after a good 7 year run. Sold it.
Now, a year later, thinking about a good 4WD vehicle. Also thinking that because of It being a new model w newer engineering and features, an LR3 might eliminate some of the inherent issues with the Disco II (three amigos, ABS, heads, computer) while retaining its charm and ability to drive in snowy dirt and mud roads. The first years, 05 to 07 (cheaper the better for me), is where I'm looking. It would probably be a daily driver, esp., in winter.
So....
1. Am I wrong? Is the LR3 going to be just as big of a service and financial nightmare as its charming Disco II cousin?
2. Should the V6 be considered for fuel economy? I will never be towing anything.
3. What are the big service issues with the LR3?
Thanks all.....??

Old 01-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

No. The v6 doesn't get but maybe one mpg better. If you're lucky.

There are some expensive things that can go wrong on lr3, often enough to not be considered uncommon. Suspension air compressors, front control arm bushings, differentials, and there are some computer issues. Some just require software updates, others can require replacement.

Either get it cheap enough that putting $1000 into it here and there won't bother you, or find one that has already had all common failures fixed.

Old 01-26-2014, 03:53 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I will get trashed for saying this, but even after all the "common" issues with the LR3, I still think its a better vehicle than the DiscoII.

I have my reasons for saying this, so DiscoII owners please keep it civil and just PM me your death threats. LOL

Old 01-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
I will get trashed for saying this, but even after all the "common" issues with the LR3, I still think its a better vehicle than the DiscoII. I have my reasons for saying this, so DiscoII owners please keep it civil and just PM me your death threats. LOL
I agree. I've owned a D1 and two different D2 and I currently have an LR3, and I'd take it any day over a stock D1 or D2, for a daily driver.

Now for off road, I love my 90. And if I had A/C and good heat, I'd probably love it as a daily driver too.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Default what fuel economy? Lol

Originally Posted by kpl1228
2. Should the V6 be considered for fuel economy? I will never be towing anything.
3. What are the big service issues with the LR3?
Thanks all.....??
I own an '07 (manufactured 12 of '06) with the V6 option. The best fuel economy I have managed -using the computer's average MPG- was 21 mpg. That was fully loaded in the middle of winter with stock size winter tires. I have since switched to grossly oversize tires and I average 11 mpg in the city and if I am lucky I can squeeze 15 mpg out of it on the highway. With the stock size tire I can manage 18-20 mpg highway.

I have heard that the difference from V6 to V8 is negligible due to the extra weight of the 8 and the fact that it is a pretty tiny difference in displacement.

I towed a U-Haul car trailer carrying a 97 VW Jetta through a high mountain pass with no trouble except for using manual shifting in steeper areas. The trip went just fine.

Service issues over the past two years:

- Air suspension compressor; looked like a junk yard part was used to save some money/get through the sale, but obviously it was just as worn as the one it replaced. New one came from LR, forgot to order a few fittings, mechanic "made it work" (cost - $1,400)
- Fuel pump; quit in the middle of down town, towed to a busy shop, took a week, skid plate was bent and had to be straightened to be put back on, then it leaked, fixed for free. (cost - $1,700)
- Rear brakes; Left rear caliper was seized and causing brakes to overheat. ordered both left and right calipers, rotors, pads. Did the work myself, fairly straight forward. (cost - about $1,000 after returning cores and such)
- ALL FOUR ABS sensors; mainly because I could not tell which was faulty and of course it turned out to be the last one I replaced. This forum was a HUGE help in determining the problem and it was an easy (ish) fix to do in the driveway (cost - $350)
- Other fixes included using genuine LR bulbs, replacing brake switch, replacing spare tire winch (it is seized again!), repairing trailer hitch, maintenance costs (oil changes, new battery and cables, etc), modifications due to larger tire size, new heated windshield after road "sand" incident.
- Upcoming fixes; I know I need a new starter or to re-man the one I have, my rear sunroof (the BIG one) is cracked but not yet leaking (again, road "sand")

You have already owned Land Rovers, so you know they make us all into great mechanics over time.

Best of luck!

Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM
Super Moderator

My 2006 with V8 has gotten a max of 19 MPG.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I've managed to get 23 mpg between Seattle and Portland, being very careful to control accelerations and staying right at the speed limit.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by LR Techniker
I will get trashed for saying this, but even after all the "common" issues with the LR3, I still think its a better vehicle than the DiscoII.

I have my reasons for saying this, so DiscoII owners please keep it civil and just PM me your death threats. LOL
you are the devil, turning your nose up to the elders. DIE!
oh, you said civil...sorry

Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
you are the devil, turning your nose up to the elders. DIE!
oh, you said civil...sorry
I don't hate them, just think the technology in the LR3 has its advantages.

Just for the record, our shop truck is an 01 Disco...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Agreed

Quick Reply: former 2003 Disco Ii owner thinking about '05-07 LR3...should I do it?