LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fr Left CV+Upper/Lower Control arm job, Major problems. Ear drum shattering noise.

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2020, 06:48 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Fr Left CV+Upper/Lower Control arm job, Major problems. Ear drum shattering noise.

So I did the upper and lower control arms for my front left. In the process I damaged my CV but it needed replacing anyways so no problem. Took everything apart again and redid the job with a new CV Axle.

I just went for a test drive and there is one hell of a noise coming from that area. I know how difficult a noise is to diagnose and describe so I'll try to be as vague as possible. It happens only when accelerating. This makes me believe it is related to the CV. It is not a banging or a clicking. It is almost but not entirely unlike a loud squeak in the form of a call and response. More like a creek but not quite. Maybe a squawk, and then a squeak or vice versa. It sounds like something isn't lubed or like a thin piece of metal is rubbing on a thick piece of metal. It is worryingly loud.

I'm almost sure I did something wrong so any advice or warnings you may have given me before I did this job might be worth giving me now. Is there a trick to a new CV? Do I need to rotate it a spline +/- and try again?

Marks from a previous alignment were plainly visible so I tried to match them as closely as possible with the control arms. The steering is not off more than one would expect pre alignment nor is the camber. Could I have messed with the brake or rotor in some way? Is there a wrong way to install a CV?

Any help or advice, however unlikely or obvious would be much appreciated. Keep in mind this vehicle has almost 320k now so it could be anything although it is certainly related to the work I just did.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Perhaps see if you can get a audio recording of the noise. I once 3m taped a knock of gopro in a wheel well to assist me in figuring out a noise

Old 11-28-2020, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Having given it an hours thought I can describe the noise with pinpoint accuracy. It sounds exactly like a young energetic couple doing the deed on a loose squeaky frame. But much louder.

This leads me to believe the shaft is not seated correctly in one end or the other, leading to the ol "in out" noise I am experiencing. Probably the wheel end since its not lubed. I'll double check both ends when the sun rises and if I don't have any luck I'll make a recording.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,513 Likes on 1,240 Posts

cycling squeak could be a pad rubbing, brake dust shield rubbing hub bearing etc

If the hub bearing was getting worn pounding he cv shaft loose with a air hammer etc could have finished it off

Last edited by ArmyRover; 11-28-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:52 PM
Mudding

There is no noise whatsoever without acceleration. It is night and day. This is what has led me to believe it is directly related to the CV and not anything else you mentioned, although a bad bearing is a strong possibility. The hammer was my tool of choice for the ball joints and the CV.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:45 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 739 Likes on 621 Posts

Was this an OEM half shaft? Are you certain its fully seated into the diff? Did you compare it to the old shaft? Did you drain the front diff and forget to refill it (I would hope not!).

Old 11-28-2020, 11:14 PM
Mudding

As of yet the to do list in the morning will be top up the diff fluid, ensure the shaft is correctly seated at both ends, and to inspect the bearing. Double checking everything else as well. If the first two have no effect I will replace the bearing. I welcome anything else to add to the list.

Diff was refilled but it needs a touch more. Negative on the OEM but specs were a match.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Do check the brake shields also as Armyrover says. They can make exactly the noise you describe. Rule out everything. It's also worth noting that shafts should be OEM (especially the prop shaft - many have had a nightmare using spec-matching, non-OEM parts) as it seems people have huge issues with non-OEM parts. Worth the extra money. Good luck with the fault-finding.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:31 PM
Mudding

Went through and double checked everything, topped off oil, checked brake rotors, shield etc, made sure the shaft was set on both ends, no joy. Bearing wasn't in great condition so I was about to go buy a new bearing when I noticed the boot had failed on my front passenger side. Didn't spot that in the darkness yesterday.

Went for a drive with both windows down to confirm noise was in fact not from the right front, but left. Stopped on the side of the road and sprayed some WD-40 into the failed boot to confirm. No more noise. I will be replacing the passenger side half shaft now. Bearings go under the rug until winter holidays when I have time to overhaul the rear as well.

OEM parts are not a concern of mine outside of the engine. It would certainly be a concern on a newer LR but not on this one as the transmission is running on wear and prayer. Running pretty well I might add, still pulls a trailer without issue.

Old 11-29-2020, 05:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 739 Likes on 621 Posts

Wow, what the heck happened to these shafts. Are they the original OEM/GKN shafts? Usually if the boots fail for no apparent reason its on aftermarket shafts. The boots dont have enough flex. Usually easy to spot since OEM boots are, I think, 6 ribbed. Aftermarket I have seen with just four. So there is not enough "accordion" action and they eventually rip or pull off.

As for OEM or not, always up to you of course. But its been shown over and over that with how heavy these trucks are they dont respond well to most aftermarket drivetrain/suspension components. Of course that varies, some aftermarket stuff is fine. So you do save up front, but never in the long run.

Quick Reply: Fr Left CV+Upper/Lower Control arm job, Major problems. Ear drum shattering noise.