LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front driver side sag...no leaks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 09:52 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front driver side sag...no leaks

New LR3 owner. I just bought the car a few weeks ago knowing it had suspension problems. The car is a 2006 with 125k miles. It had the original struts so that was my first task. I replaced all four struts and rebuilt front and rear valve blocks.

Problem is I’m still getting suspension fault errors and the driver front spring drops all the way down after filling. There are no leaks. I proved this by pulling the fuses and all four springs maintained height over night. When I put the fuses in, I can hear the air being exhausted out of the compressor in spurts.

Could it be a bad height module? Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Also, is there a cheaper alternative to calibration tools other than the $300+ versions or dealer visit?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Why replace the struts at 125k? They are good for 200k, FYI. But you clearly have a leak, even if its an artificial one. By that I mean if sounds like your valve block hoses might be mixed up? For calibration you can try RSW Solutions software. Its $200 with wireless IDBII module. But the software is a bit buggy and dont expect ANY support.

Old 05-06-2019, 08:57 AM
3rd Gear

I don’t think it’s a leak. Again, it holds height when fuses are pulled. The one corner is lowered immediately when controlled by computer. I can hear it exhausting air in spurts and only the one corner lowers.

Old 05-06-2019, 12:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Right... so it's leaking. Thats what a leak does, lets stuff out and why I said an artificial one, meaning it may be they way something is hooked up. Would not be the first time this has happened.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:08 AM
3rd Gear

Pulled down the compressor yesterday, it is an AMK dated from 2012. Rebuilt all the valve blocks (replaced Orings). Made sure all the lines are connected correctly following the service manual schematic. Compressor seems to be working fine and as stated in original post, there are no leaks in the system components.

Problem still remains. Once all struts are filled, the system starts to exhaust (lower), driver side front corner only. Any other suggestions?

Old 05-12-2019, 09:18 AM
Camel Trophy

Codes.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Just something to keep in mind, short of a F1 car, there isn't a code for every failure or fault on any car that I'm aware of. Sometimes good old diagnostic ability is your best friend, with an incredible need to understand both wiring and other schematics. Even then you might not have the answer. Some years I have the time for this, other years I don't and I let the dealership take care of things. For me, this has never been a hobby, Land Rovers and Jaguars have mostly been my daily driver since 2002. Every single JagRover (my daughters words not mine) has been maintained properly from day one and served me well.

Nothing wrong with Land Rover's, but they are complex because they offer so much more than some Jeep. This is why I mostly stick with buying new ones, but since I have such a close relationship with my dealership, I make an exception for cars serviced by my dealership if I'm interested in a used one. Not disagreeing with some, but when they spend money to make a Rover more like a Jeep, why buy a Rover? A Jeep already came with standard stuff, just buy that if you didn't wan't air suspension to begin with. I personally like the suspension on the LR3 and the thought of going backwards seems primitive to me. Not faulting Jeeps either. I grew up around Jeeps, there is a market for both.

Years ago I had some issues with my suspension on the LR3, but it never gave a code. I ignored some of the advice on here and simply replaced 3 valve blocks, the compressor, and later the tank. Never had a code, and in hindsight I wished I would have started with replacing the tank. It had some leaks that weren't obvious to the naked eye, nor with an inspection mirror that were a problem.

Last edited by COSPILOT; 05-13-2019 at 05:22 PM.