LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Engine Cover Gasket???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Engine Cover Gasket???

I know there have been lots of threads here relating to coolant leaks, but, I have been chasing a coolant leak for the better part of 2 years on my 06 LR3. 2 years ago, my thermostat housing blew, which I replaced successfully. It has never been right since. Last year I replaced the water pump and leak seam to get worse. I pulled the water pump again and made sure the gasket was seated properly. I've checked all hoses, and just can't seem to find the dang leak. I'm concerned that it might be the front engine cover gasket. Any thoughts before I dive into taking it off, and all that is involved with that?
I haven't tried the UV dye test. Where can I get that?

Thanks

Old 03-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

maybe pressure test it. Auto parts stores should have dye

Old 03-02-2016, 06:18 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

If you had water leak in the front engine cover then you would also see evidence of water contamination in the oil, with condensation and 'mayonnaise' forming in the oil filler cap.

The front cover is open from the sump, up past the timing gear and into the valve covers so any water/vapour would get into the oil.

Are seeing signs of coolant leaks or is it that the coolant level in the expansion bottle keeps getting low?

The following users liked this post:
Bravhefen (03-05-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Assuming this is on a V8, coolant does not flow through the front cover.

If it started getting worse with the t-stat housing, I would start by taking a second look there, it alone has 4 separate seals that are somewhat difficult to get a good eye on with everything installed, and the coolant can look like it's coming from somewhere else if it is leaking.

Bravhefen (03-05-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:09 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by roverguy7
Assuming this is on a V8, coolant does not flow through the front cover.

If it started getting worse with the t-stat housing, I would start by taking a second look there, it alone has 4 separate seals that are somewhat difficult to get a good eye on with everything installed, and the coolant can look like it's coming from somewhere else if it is leaking.
Correct on all counts, so Bravhefen don't go near the front cover, there's nothing there. As roverguy7 says, look again at the thermostat housing that's where all your problems started, then progress to all the other parts of the cooling system; hoses, water pump, radiator and expansion bottle too and don't forget the heater and heater hoses. There are plenty of places where a leak could go unnoticed or be missed.

Bravhefen (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply's. It's definitely coolant leaking. It has been a slow drip for about a year, then I remounted my water pump and pressurized the system, and then the slow drip, became a steady and more rapid drip.
I can't tell you how relieved I am to know that It's not the front engine cover. Tomorrow, I'll do the dye test, and be looking near the therm. housing.

Question... Does the engine need to be running to do the dye test or can I simply fill the system and pressurize it?

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:22 PM
Rock Crawling

You will need to run the engine, at least for while, to get the dye mixed through. there after just pressurise the system so you can work around the engine while it is cool. Being cool will also reduce evaporation and facilitate the leak search.