LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front and Rear Driver Side Suspension Deflating

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 02:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front and Rear Driver Side Suspension Deflating

I swear my LR3 hates me!

Started suddenly coming out to find the Rover down a few inches all around. Sometimes it doesn't budge for days, others it is down overnight. Pulled the fuses to isolate where....was expecting one corner or one axle...instead, both my front and rear driver side are the culprit. This doesn't make sense to me because those would not share lines/valves in common right?

Air bags are newer all around, front and rear valves are new. Did soap and water check and cannot find any leaks.

Any ideas what would be common between a front and rear bag, same side?

And of course I leave a for a 4x4 trip this Saturday...perfect timing.

Last edited by RickyN29; 04-30-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Very odd that one whole side would drop. Usually if there is a leak at one bag its opposite side will also compress with minimal front to rear drop (there will be some, cause physics). Is the compressor dryer new? Or at least the desiccant? Did you replace the center valve block? If the desiccant is old, then you may have had some introduction of particles that happened to create leaks at front and rear for that side - meaning coincidence. The only other thing that would make made sense is if the galley pressure was low/zero and the car tried to self-adjust and failed, instead bag pressure dumped backwards into the galley. But I would *think* the EAS reads for those presses even when the vehicle is off and would not adjust. I would also think the EAS would abort then go into a fail mode that would prevent it form making any more adjustments if the heigh sensors were that far out of spec. Although I see you have rods, so that of course messes the whole thing up sensor wise.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Very odd that one whole side would drop. Usually if there is a leak at one bag its opposite side will also compress with minimal front to rear drop (there will be some, cause physics). Is the compressor dryer new? Or at least the desiccant? Did you replace the center valve block? If the desiccant is old, then you may have had some introduction of particles that happened to create leaks at front and rear for that side - meaning coincidence. The only other thing that would make made sense is if the galley pressure was low/zero and the car tried to self-adjust and failed, instead bag pressure dumped backwards into the galley. But I would *think* the EAS reads for those presses even when the vehicle is off and would not adjust. I would also think the EAS would abort then go into a fail mode that would prevent it form making any more adjustments if the heigh sensors were that far out of spec. Although I see you have rods, so that of course messes the whole thing up sensor wise.
Thanks for the reply DakotaTraveler!

Very odd indeed, I just double checked the system diagram and do not see how it is possible.

"Is the compressor dryer new? Or at least the desiccant?"
It was a rebuilt compressor provided by previous owner. I cannot be certain the condition of the desiccant.

"Did you replace the center valve block?"
That one is original I believe.

Interesting idea on gallery pressure. With the fuses pulled though it should be attempting to level I believe. With fuses in, the whole car lowers (as expected).

As for particles, it could indeed be coincidence and causing two bags to leak. The rear valve block only has like 1,000 miles on it though, could desiccant particles kill it that fast?

Old 04-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Sorry, was responding wheel making dinner. You are right, with the fuse out (assuming you pulled the correct one) nothing should adjust.

As for particles, of course they can. Its not a matter of time, its a matter of where they get lodged. Basically leaking blocks are not the issues, the desiccant is. Its why I recommend that when people overhaul a system they get eh compressor or dryer done. Then wait a couple weeks before doing the blocks. Any particles in the lines can simply get lodged against the o-rings again. Ideally the lines would all be disconnected and blown out.