LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front vibration question

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front vibration question

hello, I just bought an 06 lr3 and i am getting a vibration when slowing down at speeds above 40. I think its the front diff. Wold a fluid change fix things or shoul i replace the diff? btw it has 82k on it thank you. also how are is the diff to change out?

Old 10-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

If it's the diff you'll hear it, too....it could be a warped rotor, a bearing, a lost weight from your rim.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:30 AM
Overlanding

I hear a grinding noise, I'm almost positive it's the front diff

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Could be bad cv axle

Grinding noise can be a hanging caliper dragging the pad, heating up the rotor causing warpage and shake when brakes applied

Have you checked diff fluid level?

Old 10-06-2014, 08:10 AM
1st Gear

I've had this happen on my 08, at speeds over 40 when you begin to apply the brakes you get a vibration that will be felt through the steering wheel.
You need brakes, both rotors and pads.
Also the LR3 needs to have the front controll arm bushings replaced at 40,000 miles.
Mine needed replacing at 40,000 miles and we have never been offroad. Do both of them cheap fixes and part of regular maitenence. You vibrations will disapear.
As far as the brakes go you may think it stops fine but and there is plenty of meat left on the pads but replacing them will solve your problem

Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Definitely, hint #1 of diagnostics for vibrations of any kind is onset during braking, narrows down probably 90% of the components.

I went through this with my RRS before I sold it a month ago (fixed it before I sold it, threw some cheapo NAPA baseline rotors on it and kept the basically-new pads on there.) I think due to the weight of the vehicle, the brake forces of the system are such that min thickness of rotors is VERY IMPORTANT. The RRS was AT min thickness but I baby the helllllllll out of that thing and NEVER panic brake, if I must brake hard I'm very consistent w/ application and let off the second I stop moving. I've seen so many people run rotors till there's nothing left and you can hardly tell.. so this was a wake up call.

LR3 does the same thing in the rear (so same feel under braking, but no steering wheel vibration) and it has new pads, rotors look about 50% which on most cars would mean another 3 years but I might replace them soon.

Old 10-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Overlanding

It is the front diff I had the dealer confirm it. What I really meant to as was how easy is the front diff to replace on these vehicles is it something that can be done in a drive way? FYI I know my way around cars pretty well I am just trying to weigh my options

Old 10-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Consider the possibility that the diff was bad anyways... I had rear replaced on my 06 RRS and swore there was still a faint noise.. went back and bitched and they finally (after I told them to check it 3 trips) they confirmed. Luckily all under extended warranty.

However it's more of a marbles, speed dependent above 35-45+. Nothing to do with braking really.. and if I wasn't at the dealer worrying about the REALLY loud rear one, I probably would have let the front go.

It was so common on the 05-06s I'm pretty sure there's plenty that are bad and people don't know. Plus keep in mind if you're a LR tech and a guy brings his 06 in for a front noise at speed. Uh, after replacing front diffs for 6 years or so he's probably gonna jump on that.

I hope it solves your problem but doubt it has to do with the issue involving braking.

How did they "confirm" exactly?

And no it's apparently a PITA job that would require a real lift unless you're WAY more patient than I am. Iirc it's really tucked up under there and protected. Seriously doubt the engineers thought they'd be swapped out w/ our oil change intervals haha.