LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system cleaners QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Fuel system cleaners QUESTION

Buddy of mine just got some fuel additive, the stuff that you put in when the tank is nearly dry and then fill up. It supposedly cleans up the dregs in the tank and the fuel injection system, but I remain skeptical. If it works, it would be a fairly inexpensive thing to do, not that it replaces dedicated servicing of the fuel system.

Anyone have experience with or opinions on fuel additives like Lucas or other?

Old 01-12-2015, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

BG44K works pretty well. It's also expensive.

Old 01-12-2015, 10:00 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't believe in Lucas. I used it once about 8 years ago. If I recall correctly, it's gooey. All I know is that my fuel sender started failing a little after that. The fuel level gauge started working intermittently and it started taking a while to build enough pressure to start the engine. I can't be sure the Lucas additive is to blame, but I won't use it again.

The one I do use on occasion is Techron. I think the evidence that it works is fairly solid, though there's nothing to convince it's anything like a miracle cure. It certainly won't clean the bottom of your tank, but it should maintain the injectors and minimize deposits on the valves.

If you have water in the tank, you can try Heet or some other alcohol type stuff, maybe even just a tank of Ethanol blend will help. I had a nasty case of water in the tank when I was foolish enough to fill up right after a big rain storm. The station's tanks were obviously contaminated. I ended up having to siphon that tank out and run it in my mower. But if you suspect any kind of contamination in the dregs, try sloshing a few gallons into an empty tank and siphoning it out. It's not much harder to just drop the tank and wash it out.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

BG44K works pretty well

Old 01-13-2015, 08:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

BG 44 K iis also the only one approved by LR and Jaguar dealers.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:35 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

when we bought ours it sat about 5 years, i filled it with super and dumped in a can of the royal purple cleaner, i had no base line so no idea if it did anything, but don't think it hurt anything

Old 01-13-2015, 09:44 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

BG, Royal Purple, and Techron are good. I use Techron in between fuel system flushes. BG makes a cleaning system that takes over for fuel pump and cleans injectors and valves thru fuel rail and I have the Champion system. If directions are followed all ways are very good with the afore mentioned products. If you go to a shop that is BG certified the clean has a lifetime warranty.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

In my Disco I alternated between Techron and Seafoam, basically out of fear the darn thing was builing up carbon deposits daily!

I have used Seafoam in small engines and from that I can tell it absolutely works in some capacity - a poorly running engine with sputtering revs will smooth out within 30 seconds of adding it to the fuel tank.

I also had a poorly idling Saab that the dealer could not find a specific cause or fix other than to suggest a complete induction cleaning. I only had 14,000 miles on the thing, so that seemed extreme, I added a 16oz Seafoam and the problem went away and has never come back.

Now I add some in the last tank before its winter hibernation and in the first tank of spring to aleviate what i believe to be ethanol related water issues.

However, if you are not experiencing any issues, it is hard to say whether it will provide any tangible benefit. May not cause any harm, but is it doing any good??

The debate never ends, just like with oil types and change intervals...

The next time I feel I need something I plan on using a BG product as they seem to be highly regarded....

Last edited by catman; 01-13-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just like most things, you will get a ton of responses here. I like Lucas. I use that in everything. I use it maybe once every 2000 miles on average. In my old Discos I used it almost constantly. I actually see MPG gains while using it in every car. On a ski trip last weekend, I averaged 18.5MPG in the LR3 while running it on the computer and 18 real world (360 on tank, 22 gallons). 16 is my norm. I also tested it twice on a long haul in our family truckster ('12 MDX). Ran it from NJ to FL and put it in each tank. Averaged 21MPG with a fully loaded car and usually heavy foot. On way back didn't use and got 19.5. Did it again next time in reverse order with similar results. My Audi never saw gains but I flogged that thing hard. I think I did a write up with stats from the Disco in the D2 forum a while ago about results.
Anyway, I have used that in just about everything I have. Cars, boats, quads, snowblower, lawn tractor, etc. No issues and I suppose does a good job as I have not seen fuel injection issues. I know the LR3 can have finicky injectors, so I'm using it often in the new to me LR3 to hopefully clean out a bit.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

I noticed a lot of old threads about this too, and most frequently heard BG and Techron were choices people trusted. Found some BG 44k at Napa today so I'll throw some in.

Very much appreciate everyone's $.02