LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Funny noises. Are they normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:18 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funny noises. Are they normal?

Finally got my LR3 back the other day and the first thing I did was go out and drive it to check everything from the HDC to Low 1. Since this is the first time I have used many of these options I have a few questions please:
1: When I press the HDC button whether I am at a dead stop or crawling at 5mph a god aweful noise comes from the engine compartment. I dont remember hearing this when the dealer took me on the test ride. I know that the LR utilizes an engine brake accompanied by the ABS but is the noise normal? Trying to describe it is hard: kinda a crunching, grinding noise, but not a screeching metal on metal noise. Pretty darn loud though.
2: Do all LR3's have that annoying ticking sound that increase with acceleration? I pointed it out to the dealer and they took it out for a test drive and said that they all have that sound and it is normal. Drives me nuts. It sounds like loose rockers or valves on my old beater truck.

Thanks for all the advice during the past 2 weeks of my ordeals with my new purchase.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Funny noises. Are they normal?

1 is fine, it's ABS working the brakes.

Old 07-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2> No idea what ticking sound you are talking about. My V8 accelerates beautifully!

Old 07-17-2007, 12:05 PM
Three Wheeling

2) could be a stone stuck in tire in protector

Old 07-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Mudding

You didn't pick up a rock or a large nail or bolt in your tire, did you? That could give the same effect of a ticking sound that picks up as you go faster....

Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Rgreenwell, let me take an extra second or two this morning since I have the time. I will say this assuming that you are not that experienced with the different toys the LR3 comes with as you yourself said that it's the first time you use them.

The noise you hear comming from under the hood as the HDC activates is quite normal and by the industry standard, very quiet. I used to have a Lexus GX470 and the HDC in that thing sounded like I had a couple of WWFfighters trying to get out fromunder my hood. Also please note that it is intended for use in REAL conditions.Let me explain because this is important.

The HDC, when turned on, will keep the vehicle under a pre-set speed. Depending on wether you are operating in high or in low- range, that speed will be different. It's also proper to note that the speed is adjustable via steering wheel controls. That speed even set for max is NOT very fast at all. If I remember from memory it's something like 3 MPH in low range and 6 MPH in high range.If you however press the accelerator in mid operation, the system is set up to allow you to override the HDC. The faster the truck was going before the HDC took over, the noisier it gets as it needs to work harder to slow down the truck to the pre-set speed. SO, if you are just "testing" the system by driving down the road with the HDC turned on and you speed up to 30mph and then take your foot off the gas to see how it works, you are now forcing the LR3 to slow down from 30MPH (ouch) to 6MPH and it will be quite noisy. Under real conditions you would never drive the LR3 at 30MPH in a trail where you are expecting sudden steep decents.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:30 AM
4wd Low

I have the same ticking sound coming from the engine...it is not a stone in the tire. If the truck wasn't under warranty, I'd be pulling the valve covers to see what is wrong! As a note, I'm fairly competent with tools & engines (I do track days with my other car...all my own engine & suspension work, including pulling the head, dropping the engine/trans, etc....). It is definitely not a good sound.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Mudding

The ticking is most likley normal, all of the new overhead cam engines haveSOLID LIFTERS,and they have a clearence spec that is fairly loose. So you will hear them clicking with the bonnet open. Dont have your dealer mess with the clearence and expect the ticking to go away, Most Techs at the dealers havent even touched them yet .it requires pulling the camsand if they adjust themtoo tight you will burn valves. . adjust your mind to accepting a little mechanical madness. The Performance with solid lifters is a positive improvement. Enjoy the car , its bad ***.