LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GAP IID ordered (bluetooth model) - lucky8

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts
Default GAP IID ordered (bluetooth model) - lucky8

After reading posts for months and drooling over everything these things can supposedly do I pretty much had to have one.

Purchased through Lucky8 (THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE SIMPLE CHECKOUT PROCEDURE), will report back with some results if I don't die of anticipation before it gets here.

I think my main thought or goal is adjusting the suspension height parameters for both weekend (add lift), and commuting days (lower it a bit). That and just being able to see what's wrong in the mother-brain that is this truck's computer . Anything else worth tinkering with?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

You can also do flashes to the ECUs, being an 06 you lack some of the things like turn signal blinking 3 times for lane changing by a simple tap, and the time on the dash.

... Now, with that said, I've got an 05 and have not brought myself to do such a thing since I just don't trust it. I just don't want the signals or clock more than the chance of bricking an ECU on the truck. Someday I will... I've just found other things to do instead.

The suspension adjustment is very cool. I have lift rods for my truck, but it's generally doing the same thing. Keep in mind that if you adjust the numbers and flex the truck to a point, it could throw a suspension error as the sensor may see it out of range. I would expect you'll never see that, as I've only seen it once and I really abuse my truck.

Also. Don't be too worried. When you first scan your truck, it may show a ton of errors. I forget how many mine had... something like 14 or so... Clear the codes, check it again in a weeks time. My truck clearly had a bad battery at some point causing lots of freak outs from the ECUs.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
DavC (10-07-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:52 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an 05 and iid BT tool too and had the same experience with all the faults. Most of them seem to be meaningless but seeing the ones that are important is great.

Has anyone here had trouble getting their truck to raise with the height adjustment? I tried to raise mine a modest 1" and even after saving the profile it just stays the same.

Old 10-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Dave, those guys at GAP know the LR3 very very well. That is what I have come to learn. I trust what the IIDTool is doing. That said I don't use mine to "tinker," but rather to read values (voltages, temperatures, pressures) and of course for the EAS adjustment and code reading/clearing.

As for the Out-Of-Range faults, if you set the new height at the proper setting, you should be able to avoid this for the most part. If the truck gets into Extended Height and then you try to go Super Extended, you're almost sure to then get an Out-Of-Range fault. Remember to check the calibration values and make sure no sensor is above 250. That is the top of the range and any setting above that will surely lead to Out-Of-Range faults.

@2foot2los: I believe that once you put in the new height, you have to drive around (just up and down the street) for the changes to take effect.

The following 2 users liked this post by houm_wa:
2foot2los (10-06-2015), DavC (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Please also don't forget, in normal mode for the suspension there's a 10mm variation that is allowed. Tight tolerance mode is what I used when I had the alignment done. Another great feature of the IID tool.

Dave

DavC (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks for the info!

I just got an allignment done but the next one will be done with tight tolerance mode on

I may start experimenting too with the ECU software at some point so this is good to know as well. Will be nice to have more info than just the stock instrument cluster provides.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle

UPDATE: the unit was waiting with the mail when I got back from work!

One issue I have run into immediately is that I have no way to get the firmware that you need to load on the device to do the NAV ON MOVE unlock... I run the updater but there is NO dropdown for me to flash the required firmware at all. No firmware available for manual download as far as I can tell. Anyone run into this?

I updated to the newest version of the firmware today but cannot find a way to choose to go to that specific one... I'm on Win8.1 pro if that clarifies at all.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:16 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 141 Likes on 111 Posts

Just send an e-mail to the GAP guys. They will provide you with a custom firmware that you flash to your IID tool through the update program if I remember correctly. They will also give you instructions.

DavC (10-27-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Right on. Shot them an email today. Do I have to ask for each custom firmware specifically or will they send me everything I may possibly need at once if I ask?

I'm talking at least the NAV ON MOVE firmware, and the custom tranny stuff folks have referenced, etc.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DavC
Purchased through Lucky8 (THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE SIMPLE CHECKOUT PROCEDURE)

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to order the tool through the website, and I work with websites. I keep ending up at a totally static table with no way of ordering. I've actually gone to order it several times after posts like this, but always get frustrated and put it off. I'll probably end up calling when I do. One of the most challenging websites I've seen in a while.

Quick Reply: GAP IID ordered (bluetooth model) - lucky8