LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GASOLINE TANK CAP LOOSE OR MISSING

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GASOLINE TANK CAP LOOSE OR MISSING

Has anyone had this problem before? couse it does not have the gasoline cap missing( the one u put to close were u enter the gas), and today my car pull out that error (wich it had for a month) and the car stoped.

Any info..

Old 01-14-2009, 12:35 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GASOLINE TANK CAP LOOSE OR MISSING

If it works like most modern vehicles, the LR3 will do a vaccuum check to see if there are leaks in the fuel tank. If the gas cap is missing or loose, the vaccuum test will not pass, causing the error message, perhaps inhibitng the LR3 from starting all together. But I'm just talking general terms using other vehicles I know from experience. Not sure to what extent the LR3 works the same.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had this issue on my 06 V8 SE. I had the engine light on the dash come on and the "loose cap" notation on the info screen. After about five or six starts, a few days and a tank of gas the warning disappeared.

Old 01-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Three Wheeling

Hi my friend, but did the engine ligth came off to?? Thanks... And how much did u fill the gas tank after this errors? thanks

Old 01-16-2009, 08:43 PM
8th Gear
Default both turned off and I filled the tank...

Yep, both the notice on the info display and the engine light turned off at the same time. I ran the tank down to a few gallons and then refilled completely (made sure the cap was on and cleaned it off-seemed pretty clean to me before though). Local LR service advisor said something about the system checking four or five times over the next restarts and then either kicking out the warning or continuing it...He did say if after a few days if it hadn't turned off to bring it in for a vacuum vapor test (about an hour diagnostic)...

sworks

Old 01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: both turned off and I filled the tank...

and what will the vacum make? i meen if i dont do this , can it hurt the car? couse maybe i know i have to do that...

Old 01-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: both turned off and I filled the tank...

There is a DMTL pump that is a part of the evaporative emissions system. After the vehicle has been driving for about ten miles,
the pcm will begin an evaporative system leak check after the engine is shut off and sits for ten or more minutes. It runs the pump which draws in air from the atmosphere and performs a reference leak check by running the pump through a fixed orifice and records the current used(usually about 26mA). ThenthePCMactivates the changeover valve and pressurizes the fuel tank/system and compares the current used to pressurize the system against the reference current. If the leak check current is the same as or higher than the reference current, then the system is deemed to be tight, and if the leak check current is lower than the reference current then the system is deemed to have a leak. This issue will not lead to the vehicle not starting.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:18 PM

I had that light come up over and over. I took it the the dealer more than once to finally find out I did infact have a vapor leak. Which was covered by theoriginal warranty

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Three Wheeling

and what did they do?? how much was the price to fix it?(i know u had warranty but did u know how much), and did the error came out??? thanks

Old 01-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Three Wheeling

I just made the test of empty my tank and filling it with additive to see if the error comes off, two days and nothing.. ill post later.. Wish it goes off.