LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General Concerns

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:32 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question General Concerns

I am interested in purchasing a 2006 LR3 with 27K. The vehicle still has the balance of the factory warranty (roughly 15 mos. left) and I understand that if something happens during that time, I'm covered. I'm concerned about the long-term with this vehicle as we would like to drive it for 4-5 years. I have been doing a lot of research on this vehicle and I'm beginning to reconsider buying one. I also understand that regardless of whatever car maker someone goes with, there are always horror stories, but there seems to be an overwhelming trend with these LR3's. For instance, I own a 2006 Audi A4 that has the same comp. 4/50K warranty with all maint. covered and I love the car. I have not had any issues with the vehicle, but I'm sure there are people that have had their share of problems with Audi. This will be a daily driver for my wife and she will probably put about 20K a year on it and I worry about the reliability. We will be driving this out on a beach throughout the summer as well. I'm alarmed by the amount of problems these vehicles seem to have with brakes, tires, suspension, crazy electrical issues, constant warning lights lighting up like a xmas tree and WATER LEAKS!!! We were considering a Volvo XC90 until I saw how many people had transimissions going at 50-60K mark. What a joke!! I have never believed in buying extended warranties on vehicles, but I feel it would make sense on this purchase. Would people recommend buying one? How much are they? And should it be purchased through Land Rover only? I want to hear positive and negative feedback on people's LR3's. Also, I'm buying this vehicle from a non-Land Rover dealer because it is priced about $4,000 less than any equivalent LR3 at a Rover dealer.

Thanks for any guidance provided.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:53 PM
6th Gear

Hi there:

In my personal opinion, and based on my experience, the LR3 from 2006 forward are phenomal cars. If absence of any trouble within the first 3 years is any indication, I predict you'll easily get 4 to 5 very enjoyable years out of an 2006 LR3.
A few things ought to be clear: the LR3 requires very little maintenance, but it should be done appropriately. Change the oil, change other fluids as necessary. Not worth saving a few hundred bucks, and then have issues down the road. Also, brakes wear quite fast on these vehicles. I've already changed discs front and rear. The LR3 is a very heavy vehicle, and the brakes have a lot of work to do.

Mine is a V6 gas engine, and you are probably looking at a V8? Most of the LR3s are V8. Gas mileage is not so good, but again: it's a big and heavy car. Long range driving is a pleasure, make sure you get 3rd row seats, leather, cold climate (with rear heated seats) and the better Stereo. iPod integration is still a problem, no really good solution available to my knowledge.

Buying from a LR dealer: YES. Chances are, that the vehicles at independent dealers have issues, did not get the factory maintenance, did not get all the TSB and recalls done (doesn't have to be, just my gut feeling).

Not sure where you are located, but here is a tip: get a set of good winter tires. I've bought a set of wheels on Ebay, and then a set of Pirelli Scorpion tires. The tightest grip on ice and snow that you can find - anywhere! Last winter I saw an LR3 with a sticker on the back "Jeep recovery vehicle" - so true!

Enjoy!

K

Old 07-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Overlanding

I have a 05 LR3 HSE with the V8 and I can honestly say that I will never own anything else. Yes they have abit of quirkiness about them. I have 70,000 on mine and to date the only problems I have had where rear wiper motor, and the windshield seal. Yes it did leak, but I am very cautious about my car so I pay attention to every detail and the moment I noticed it I had it fixed. Mileage in traffic isn't great about 14 or 15. On the highway or interstate I get from 22 to 24. You say that you will be bringing it on the beach. Well I can promise that you will not in anyway find another SUV that can perform as well on sand as the LR3 does. I am always on the beach in the sand and I don't know of a time I have been on the beach that I haven't had to pull some poor sap out of the sand. I have owned many jeeps and they don't even come close to the Land Rover. It truely is an amazing vehicle that will bring you and your family many years of excitment. Oh and my wife has an XC90 and yes it is a great vehicle that she badly wanted and I remind her of this when she begs me for my LR3. So I feel in the near future there might be two LR3s in our garage. Hope this helps. Cheers!! - Michael

Old 07-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Mudding
Thumbs up

My 2005 LR3 has almost 88k miles now. It is my daily driver, yet it has seen some pretty severe offroad use, both here in CA and in CO as well. The reality is that it is a very sophisticated mechanical device, and whenever there is that much technology that is being forced to be mobile, it increases the chances of issues developing. The fact is that it is probably the most capable off the showroom floor offroad vehicle, yet it has the personality on the road of a fine SUV. It will take regular periodic visits to the dealer. Mine goes in regularly around 5k, but most oil changes are 7.5k miles according to the book. Because it is a Land Rover, dealer repairs are expensive, so an extended warranty (mine runs out in 12k miles when I hit 100k) is a must IMHO.

If you don't see a need for offroad capability, then look at something else. If you don't need a lot of size, the LR2 is based on the Volvo drivetrain, and my service guy says he just doesn't see many major repairs on them like the LR3.

The LR3 is now fairly reasonably priced used now, so there are more offroad accessories being designed everyday now that people aren't afraid to get their vehicle banged up offroad. "Why would you take a $60k vehicle offroad?" is what my friends would say. Guess I didn't know better and did it anyway.

I would have another one in a minute...

Old 07-06-2009, 01:53 PM
5th Gear
Smile Thanks for the insight

I appreciate the feedback thus far, but I would like to follow up with some answers and addtional questions pertaining to your responses:

To der_ingenieur:

1.) It's a V8 SE. I have found a few V6's, but the gas mileage is not really much better, so we're going with an 8.

2.) I'd like to know why you feel an LR3 being sold by an independent dealer would not have had the same maintenance? This vehicle is a one-owner LR that was purchased new at a LR dealer. Since all vehicle scheduled maint. is complimentary for 4/50K, as well as recalls and software updates, why would it not have been done by the previous owner. This vehicle only has 27K and it is in phenominal condition inside and out. I don't feel it necessary to pay an additional $5,000 premium just so I can say I bought it at a LR dealer. It has a clean Carfax history that I have reviewed. It still has over a year remaining on the factory warranty and I will bring it to our local LR dealer for a once-over upon purchase. If there was maint. or recalls that had not been performed, they will diagnose those issues and take care of them, correct?

3.) You mentioned already going through all 4 rotors. How much did this cost? What is the average mileage for brake pad life? I would like to avoid replacing rotors and I feel that is possible as long as I don't wait too long. There must be aftermarket pads that are made better because it sounds like LR pads are crap.

I would imagine the oil changes are covered under the 4/50 maint. program, correct? Also, why is it imperitive to bring it to LR for oil changes after it's beyond the complimentary service? It seems as though oil changes are a bit steep from what I have seen. Somebody mentioned $120. There's no need for that price.

To jimbiram:

1.) We will have a need for off-road capability.

2.) The LR2 does not come close to comparing to the LR3 in my opinion and we don't have interest in the vehicle. It's based on the Ford Escape platform and is a bit small.

Thanks for all the help.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:10 PM
4wd High

I purchased my LR3 with 29k a few months back from a non-Land Rover dealer.

When I took it to my local Land Rover dealer to get it checked out, they showed me that the previous owner took great care of it and brought it in to their Land Rover dealer every 6 months.

I am just due for my first oil change (in another 400 miles) as I took it back after 3k miles and they said to return in another 3.5k because it has a full synthetic system. It needs oil every 7500k. So the steep price may be more manageable for you because you get the oil changed fewer times.

I can tell that my brakes are wearing faster than I am used too, I use to own a Jeep Wrangler which are very light cars. Not sure how much they will cost.

Also, my vehicle still has the factory warranty with it, but chances are I will purchase an extended one. The airbag suspension scares me.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by LR3quest

2.) I'd like to know why you feel an LR3 being sold by an independent dealer would not have had the same maintenance? This vehicle is a one-owner LR that was purchased new at a LR dealer. Since all vehicle scheduled maint. is complimentary for 4/50K, as well as recalls and software updates, why would it not have been done by the previous owner. This vehicle only has 27K and it is in phenominal condition inside and out. I don't feel it necessary to pay an additional $5,000 premium just so I can say I bought it at a LR dealer. It has a clean Carfax history that I have reviewed. It still has over a year remaining on the factory warranty and I will bring it to our local LR dealer for a once-over upon purchase. If there was maint. or recalls that had not been performed, they will diagnose those issues and take care of them, correct?

3.) You mentioned already going through all 4 rotors. How much did this cost? What is the average mileage for brake pad life? I would like to avoid replacing rotors and I feel that is possible as long as I don't wait too long. There must be aftermarket pads that are made better because it sounds like LR pads are crap.
The thing that I would be a little worried about, can you check the service history of the vehicle prior to purchasing? Probably difficult. Makes you wonder who would not do the scheduled maintenance at LR, but you have difficulty finding out. Another item might be the "Certified used" status, that gives you even longer warranty on many components.

After all, it is probably just my personal opinion, that many not so well cared for cars end up at the independentdealers, because they grab them cheap at auction. An LR dealer, that trades in a car, keeps the better ones, and sends the other ones to auction. But: there are plenty exceptions to the rules.

Not sure what the mileage is for the rotors. Changing pads can not totally save the rotors. Depends on you driving conditions. We drive a lot short distance, around town, etc. That means frequent braking, and quick wear of the pads and rotors. Aftermarkets are available, and I am not sure what the price difference is.

Don't rule out an independent dealer. If you have a good feeling about the car, great, go for it.

You'll be happy with an LR3!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:55 PM
Drifting
Smile

Got my LR3 from an Independent dealer and the dealer had got the recalls and everything done. I got the Lr3 V6 Se no third row but i didn't need the 3rd row. Loved the vehicle in the winter because of the Terrain Response. Great stereo Ipod is okay with the aux cable. Got it checked by the Land Rover Dealer and they said it was great.

If you still have concerns get a 07 because they will have less bugs then the 05's and 06s.

Hope you enjoy ur Lr3

Old 07-09-2009, 07:22 AM
5th Gear
Default Thank You

amkullar:

Thanks for sharing the experience you had through an independent dealership. We are focusing on the 06's as the 07 models are still fetching quite a premium. This will obviously start to change next year with the new LR4 coming out and replacing the LR3, but for now I'm focusing on 06's only. This vehicle still has a factory warranty until 11/10. I have asked a few times on this thread, yet no one has answered me. Do you know how much LR charges for an extended warranty? If so, what is the mileage cutoff where it's no longer viable?

After reviewing the Carfax report, I was able to determine where the car is from as well as the dealership who sold it. I already have the VIN# for this vehicle, so do you think if I called the dealership they would tell me about the service that has been done on it?

You mention the ipod aux jack, and I would imagine that sound quality probably suffers a bit compared to the CD/Radio?

I'm going to take another look at this LR3 over the weekend and will probably make my decision. Wish me luck.

Regards,

Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Drifting

I am in Vancouver B.C. so my quote for an extended warranty was $3,500 CAD or so can't remember. I have 60,000 Km on my lr3 and the warranty covered up to 100,000 or 4 or five years i think. The dealer gave me another one but i cant remember that price. The ipod connectivity with the aux cable isn't as clear as the CD/Radio but it is way better than some other vehicles. To get the best quality with the ipod, keep your EQ in your ipod to Normal.If you call the dealer with the VIN# they will give you the details. Also ask the dealer if all the upgrades for the software and the recalls have been done. Personally i would get the extended warranty.

Hope you enjoy ur Lr3
Good Luck

Quick Reply: General Concerns