LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Giving Up - Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Giving Up - Suspension Fault

After replacing the rear right height sensor, the car still starts and drives for ten minutes at regular height followed by the suspension light, and then followed by another message "Suspension Fault - Max Speed 30 MPH".

Hmmm..

Took it to a local guy who I have NOT taken it to before but know well (he had a disco II back in the day). He just couldn't figure it out..

Took it to Autozone for some code reading... No codes.

Anyone? Bueller? Aside from the fact it looks like I'm driving a low rider, the vehicle drives smoothly - always has.

Any suggestions before I concede and take to dealership?

Attached Thumbnails Giving Up - Suspension Fault-blooming-grove-20120506-00285.jpg  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was there any change from before and after you R&Rd the height sensor?

If there was NO difference at all, then what would be the next likely suspect?

I'm new to LRs, so just trying to put some logic thought to work here.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Mudding

Well. I was hoping someone on here would guide me to "next possible step".. No difference from before and after, but sinces it seems CLEAR that the height sensor is still and issue, I can't rule out that the sensor was 1) installed correctly (although it was kinda obvious) or two.. The fact that I snapped the tabs on the connector when I replaced it is cause it to not function correctly (a very real possibility, maybe)..

Someone suggested after a height sensor is replaced that the suspension needs to be "recalibrated".. But no one can confirm, deny, or instruct.

I know if I take it in they're gonna sell me a compressor (which still works..I hear it, and the car does raise.. But it lowers after a few minutes as noted)

Old 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The suspension ECU cannot logically level your vehicle, sensor is so far out of range.
Since it knows something is not right it will open the rear crossover valve to allow the same air pressure to both sides. after you drive for a certain amount of time it will try to correct itself and default to the condition you stated.
You're sure you got the correct sensor?? You never answered my question "where did you get the sensor from??" it's either the wrong sensor, the square bracket you removed needs to be re-installed and mounted accordingly or you have an electrical issue at the connector or in the harness.
The sensor is out of range. No calibration procedure will help in this matter.
On the original sensors, the arms are color coded White goes on the left, Black on the right.All the sensors are different
Sometimes the connector will get water in it and corrode causing a similar fault to a
sensor wandering.Thats why I recommended you check the connector in your original post.
You still need to replace the sensor connector since you broke the latching tabs.
To answer your question Should the suspension be calibrated after a sensor is replaced? Yes. Does it have to be? No.

If you choose to bring it to the dealer, they should only replace/repair what is necessary.
If you want pm me with your phone number and I'll try to walk you through it.

Cheers Mike

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 05-07-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here are some pages for background.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
description & operation.pdf (1.26 MB, 1018 views)
File Type: pdf
height sensor(60.36.01).pdf (48.7 KB, 722 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-07-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM
Rock Crawling

The ride height is no longer measured according to this WSM.
It is measured from the wheel hub center to the wheel arch

Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Mudding

Thanks guys - really appreciate it. I bought the height sensor from Atlantic British and I did verify that it was the right part. BUT, the install wasn't easy because the location of the bracket holes as they related to the holes on the mount really through me off. I will see if I can find the connector somewhere to replace it... see if that's the issue. If not, I'll get another sensor. Maybe I destroyed it on the install..

Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Things to check, Then report back...

When you first start off and the vehicle is at standard ride height and all corners are the
same height, where is the R/R height sensor on the display?
Does the height sensor level change while you are driving? (does it still wander up and down?)
When the suspension defaults and drops does the R/R height sensor level change?
If you select High Profile, will the suspension go up in all the corners? Does the R/R height sensor level change?
If you take the R/R wheel off disconnect the R/R sensor arm and move it up and down
does the R/R wheel height change on the display? (*note you will need to be careful if you do this. I would recommend using jack stands on all four corners of the frame to keep the vehicle from dropping and possibly injuring you)

If the height change R/R is opposite the other sensors when the vehicle height changes. You have the wrong height sensor.

If the height changes in the same direction. you have either installed the sensor incorrectly, you have installed a front sensor on the rear(or an incorrect sensor). The front sensor has a shorter arm then the rear sensor, I suspect you would have noticed this when you installed it.

If the height display does not change when the ride height physically changes,

You forgot to hook the linkage arm for the R/R sensor to the upper control arm...

If the height does not change at all when the sensor arm is moved,

You have an electrical problem at:

The height sensor. connector C1698 pins 1,4,5,

A poor connection at connector C0377 pin 15,16,17 (18 pin white connector main harnes to chassis harness behind the L/R wheel)

A poor connection at connector C0867R pin 8,9,10 (White 20 pin connector at the EAS ECU at R/F A pillar)

An electrical problem in the wire harness itself.

Last edited by threalassmikeg; 05-08-2012 at 07:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
January Cross (04-08-2021)
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM
Mudding

Wow - detailed - thanks!

I will report back what I don't know.

- When I first start the vehicle, the terrain response shows ride height, but vehicle is actually sitting like a low-rider because on previous drive, suspension fault comes on and vehicle lowers. If I flip the height up, the vehicle will raise. It will go to off road level too. (and maybe I'm over analyzing because I've been trying to sort this out for a month, but it seems to be coming up slower now - struggling even.)

When this happen, the height sensors are all pretty even BUT the right year seems a tiny bit low. It will stay like this until the suspension fault comes on... and then the wheel lowers (as it appeared in the picture) once the vehicle fully lowers.

Will check on the rest.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:14 AM
Rock Crawling

Hey Matt,
Just checking up. Any progress???

Quick Reply: Giving Up - Suspension Fault