LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to find good help these days

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by cmb6s
The other thing that I would be concerned about by taking the car to a quick "Jiffy Lube" type place is that there is a good chance they will not fill your rear diff correctly IMHO. Most cars I've dealt with in the past use the fill hole as the level line indicator, meaning that when fluid starts to seep out of the fill hole, the diff is "full". This isn't the case with the LR3. You need to actually put in the correct about of fluid and it will not get high enough to seep out of the fill hole. This means that if they DID fill to the point where it started coming out, then the diff is overfilled.

But, this is coming from a person who has had nothing but bad experiences from indy shops. I try to do everything myself since I am the only one I trust anymore.
Yes I know exactly how you feel on the trust issue. I use to do it all myself but I'm getting a bit older, bad back etc. So I just pay someone to do it. But I agree that doing it yourself is probably the best.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There is a lot of difference between a franchise quick oil change place staffed by low wage entry level guys and an indy shop that has decades of experience between the guys.

The trick is finding the indy shop with LR experience so you don't have to pay for on the job training.

If it wasn't for indy shops a lot of LR owners would be even more broke.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm sure there are great indy shops out there, and I definitely agree that I would look for one with LR experience. There are probably many people on this board that work for/at indy shops (and I personally think that's a great sign)... I would definitely try a shop that has enough passion for LRs that they are active participants on the forums! I certainly didn't mean to knock all indy shops or all shops in general.

However, my recent bad experiences come from:
1. I took my Audi to a European specialty indy shop that does Volvo/VWs/Audis, etc. because my clutch suddenly dropped to the floor and stayed there. I asked them to look at the clutch push rod, the master cylinder and the slave cylinder to see if any were the culprit. When they gave me the car back, they told me I needed an entire new clutch for $3500 and they charged me 2 hours of labor for the diagnosis. They also offered to buy the car from me at that point (a bad sign). I said "B.S.". There are no symptoms that I need a new clutch. At this point they changed their story and said "well, we think you actually need a slave cylinder, but we won't know until we drop the tranny". Ok... but then what were the TWO hours of diagnosis labor for if you didn't diagnose anything? I walked away after getting an hour diagnostic fee back...
2. Took it to another shop where they told me my master cylinder was leaking, but they would need to drop the tranny to check the slave. I said, yes, ok... do it. So they did it and replaced both MC and SC. When I got the car back, my clutch felt loose, so I looked down on the floor and one of the three bolts that holds my clutch to the firewall was just laying under my trim... not installed. Then, the next time it rained, I had a huge puddle of water in my car because they didn't install the gasket around the MC correctly. Sigh.

So... if anybody knows a great shop in Northern Virginia, let me know! I'm still looking