LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hate to say it, but I have a whining sound from what i think is the differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:37 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hate to say it, but I have a whining sound from what i think is the differential

Hey Folks,

My 06 LR3 HSE has been flawless since I purchased last year. Just put on the Pirelli ATR's and took off the hodgepodge of tires that werre on there, 2 worn hankooks and 2 cupped original wranglers. The ride is better but the whine still there.

I have been doing searches about differentials in the LR3 and as much as this pains me to think I may be a candidate for a new differential. A few days ago coming down a large hill at about 80 miles per hour me and my wife heard a very audible whining sound that came and went pretty consistently down the hill. I have been hearing a whining sound on acceleration as well up hills and sometimes just on acceleration in general. The sound has changed recently to be more intermmitant but pretty consistently there.

I talked to the service rep at my dealership in San Diego, and he said the 06's had a paint on the inside that fouled the bearing in the differential. but from other threads I have heard its 05 and early 06's (mine) and that all years up to 09 have the same diff and bearing but no paint. Anybody have any insight into the problem as to why there are problems with these diffs (not sure its the same problem as the 05 RR's)

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM
5th Gear

I have an 08 LR3. Also in San Diego. Mine is still under warranty. The dealer is having trouble getting differentials. My rear differential is on order and scheduled to be delivered on March 7th.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:32 PM
4wd High
Default just got the call today that both differentials will need replacing

just got the call today that both differentials will need replacing along with the control arms. The rep on the phone of Land Rover NA said the 05/06's were prone to this and many of them were bought back by land rover. I asked him if the part numbers were the same and they were not. So I assume this could mean they are updated assemblies in some way. I was told it was the bearing in them and there is no rebuild kit , so they replace the entire assembly. I just hope that this wont occur again in the next 55k miles. It seems like many on this board have had one or the other replaced but both? They are essentially removing the whole guts of the vehicle.

Yours is an 08 though so wouldn't that prove the 05/06 thing wrong>?

And if your waiting till march 7th for the new one just to come in, how long will I wait without my vehicle in the dead of winter when I may need it to go in snowy conditions.