LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have to slam shifter to get into D please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 12:41 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have to slam shifter to get into D please help!!

My Lr3 works well except that in order to engage Drive I have to start in P and slam somewhat violently rearward to get to engage. I have dissasembled and checked every part of the shifter looking for an adjustment to Lentghten (I guess ) the shift cable. but alas see no way. Is there an adjuster or linkage at tranny that I can replace? have been thru the RAVE re that and see nothing. Please help as My family wont ride with me in the Lr.

Old 03-30-2017, 01:46 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

There is a brake lockout that stops the shifter from moving to D if the brake is not engaged. You can usually hear it click when you step on the brake in P. Just a shot in the dark, but it could be that either that or the brake light switch (common failure on these cars that probably also triggers the lockout release) needs replacing.

I test drove an LR3 that had the same thing when I was buying, the salesman claimed it was normal. It's not, but I do know it was not an uncommon problem. Someone will probably chime in soon.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by djkronik57
when I was buying, the salesman claimed it was normal. It's not,
Their number one favorite line... heard this one with regards to several issues. Didn't ignore it, told him hey that's flat wrong...

Old 04-17-2017, 04:41 PM
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having a somewhat same issue. When i shift into D, it engages but will not stay in drive. Neutral and Reverse work fine, however if i hold the gear shift in drive, it will stay engaged. I was also wondering if there is a cable adjustment?

Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There is a tsb to check the cable adjustment and to verify the link at the transmission end of the cable isn't seized up.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Overlanding

I fixed it!!!! Simple adj at transmission slid the shift cable forward 1mm works perfectly

Old 04-18-2017, 08:49 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Thats great news DoctaX... could you share some insight as to how you accomplished it, how difficult is was, etc?
Thanx

Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Winching
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Sometimes just spraying WD40 on the linkage on the underside helps as well. It tends to corrode and seize up as noted above. Mine would pop out of drive if I took a left or other strange times (the D would disappear from the dashboard display). You can also replace the whole linkage (Land Rover LR3 LR4 Range Sport Transmission Gear Shifter Selector Lever Bush Kit | eBay).

Old 04-19-2017, 12:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

the attachment is for the gear lever adjustment as per the workshop manual.

But you should also ensure that the lever on the box is in good order and that the cable clamp is free to move. Often rusting of the clamp means gear selection is a bit hit and miss. I had the same problems described above and needed to fit a new lever and do the adjustment, had no problems since.

Attached Files
The following 3 users liked this post by Alphamale:
bbyer (04-19-2017), EastCoast (04-19-2017), Roverdog44 (05-01-2017)
Old 02-26-2020, 04:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Roverdog44
I'm having a somewhat same issue. When i shift into D, it engages but will not stay in drive. Neutral and Reverse work fine, however if i hold the gear shift in drive, it will stay engaged. I was also wondering if there is a cable adjustment?
did you ever figure figurhe problem?? same thing is happening to me

Quick Reply: Have to slam shifter to get into D please help!!