LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDC, suspension, transmission, and brake faults, plus suspension wont raise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HDC, suspension, transmission, and brake faults, plus suspension wont raise

Love this site, and hopefully going to be joining the club very soon, but first I need some opinions on a 05 I'm currently looking to purchase that has some issues. The suspension will not rise, but once started and running for a few minutes faults for the HDC, transmission, brake, and special programs all started to appear, as well as it saying the bonnet was open, which it was not. It runs great, has roughly 152k, V8, and is overall decent shape. After doing some searching it may be the common brake switch, but here's my dilemma-the owner states that he's taken it to a couple of shops and they all say it's the control module for the suspension, quoting roughly an average of $1,200 for the repair. I couldn't find anything relating to the suspension control module causing all these faults, but it seems like even a brake light can cause these things to go a bit crazy. Without having to buy a scan tool since I don't own it yet, can anyone suggest anything or have had a similar situation where it may not have been the brake switch? I could get it for a pretty decent price as it is, and before I take the leap I wanted to tap the large knowledge banks of all of you just in case there is something I may be missing.

TIA!

Old 11-20-2017, 07:06 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Before buying any Rover, you should get it pre-inspected at a Land Rover dealership (or a good independent shop that has experience with Rovers). Don't rely on what the seller is telling you. My personal opinion is to stay well away from a Land Rover that already has undetermined problems and is only in "decent" shape. Spend a few grand more for one that has maintenance history and is currently in good running order. Rarely do "good deals" ever turn out to be that with these rigs...

Old 11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Before buying any Rover, you should get it pre-inspected at a Land Rover dealership (or a good independent shop that has experience with Rovers). Don't rely on what the seller is telling you. My personal opinion is to stay well away from a Land Rover that already has undetermined problems and is only in "decent" shape. Spend a few grand more for one that has maintenance history and is currently in good running order. Rarely do "good deals" ever turn out to be that with these rigs...
I appreciate this, and it was my plan to take it over to the Land Rover dealer anyways. It's in better shape than I give it credit for, and I think it's a bargain for the price that it's at. I try and read and research on here as much as possible before posting, but any feedback helps. I'm waiting for the current owner to provide me with the quote from the Land Rover dealer for the repair currently, but everything else on the punch list of things to check for that I found on this forum looked good.

Old 11-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Winching

It sounds like your eyes are wide open... welcome to the forum.

Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 AM
Overlanding

Well I brought it home tonight, fired up the heater in the garage and started diagnosing what I could. I started with the basics, brake light switch replaced, disconnected the battery, jumped the negative and positive cables for a few minutes, hooked them back up and started her up, only to find that i was still showing a transmission and suspension fault immediately, with a red suspension light. I trailered it home since it's sitting on the bump stops, so I jumped the compressor which has never ran even at startup and it ended up filling all but the driver side rear. This took a little while to fill the other three corners, but it made it obvious that theres something wrong with the back drivers side, now to just diagnose where it's failing.

This still doesn't explain my transmission fault though, so I'll have to try and figure out what's causing that as well. I don't have any others faults, but I have a feeling this rear issue is going to be a PITA.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:10 AM
Winching

Check you tail light bulbs to make sure the filaments are vertical..

Old 11-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by EastCoast
Check you tail light bulbs to make sure the filaments are vertical..
Checked them all today, they all looked good beside one that was out, which I replaced, still an issue though. Correct me here if my thinking is wrong, but from what I’ve been reading since only one bag is not filling, it’s more than likely the bag itself instead of the valve block. I still need to check for leaks on the top of the bag and the lines before I rule anything out. This still does not help resolve my immediate red suspension fault when I start it up though. I’m going to pull the suspension control module tonight and see if it acts any differently, it’s almost like there’s no communication to it, or the truck doesn’t know it’s there.

I had one success today though, the rear hatch wasn’t opening so after a couple YouTube videos I managed to get it open and fixed without purchasing a new assembly. It was a small victory, but hopefully it rolls into a large suspension win too.....

Old 11-26-2017, 06:50 PM
Winching

When I first got my truck, every few rides the yellow, then sometimes red suspension light would come on... nothing physically would happen and if I pulled over and restarted, it would behave. I eventually took it to the dealer and got a software upgrade on all the systems and the problem went away... can't say for sure if it would help your situation but the software can sometimes get a bit scrambled and need a fix... they must have subcontracted Microsoft...lol

Cost was about $130...

Old 11-26-2017, 08:23 PM
Overlanding

Giving up and going to the dealer is my last resort lol, I’m rather stubborn and have every intention of fixing this on my own, however I know some things are out of my control. I’m going to dig into all the fuses again, and look for the EAS module to see if I unplug it if it changes anything.

Still won’t solve my driver side rear bag not inflating though. Thanks for all the help too EastCost.

Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM
Overlanding

I noticed now that my drivers side front is now sagging compared to the other two that were raised when I jumped the compressor the other day, so I possibly have a leak at the front left bag now too. The pump looks like it was recently replaced, but there's a line near the back of the pump thats coming from above the frame that looks like it should go to the compressor but it's capped off. Any idea what this is?

Last edited by kosmo0486; 11-29-2017 at 05:08 PM.

Quick Reply: HDC, suspension, transmission, and brake faults, plus suspension wont raise