LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello. New Member

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hello. New Member

Just wanted to say hello. I have owned our 2006 LR3 HSE for 4 or 5 years now, and seeing that I don't think my wife will let me get rid of it until it starts on fire or the engine or trans self destruct, I might as well join in. As you can tell, it's a love/hate relationship with our Rover.

I've been pretty active in BMW forums over the past 15 years or so, but this is my first Land Rover.

I do a vast majority of the work myself on this thing, which has become quite a long list so far. Currently it is in the middle of a rear suspension refresh - all 12 bushing and hardware.

I would have to imagine this is a pretty hands on group here?

BTW, I have a picture to share, and although I have it uploaded into my album, I can't seem to attach it to my post. edit: I see, I need 10 posts first.

Last edited by metallicpea; 12-19-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Welcome to the forum. We are a work on it yourself kinda group and have a few really knowledgeable LR3 guys on here. You will be able to post pics real soon I'm sure.

The following users liked this post:
metallicpea (12-20-2018)
Old 12-19-2018, 04:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

Hello!

I also have a BMW (1992 750iL) and have been active in that area for a number of years. In fact she sat for all summer but I finally got her on the road a couple days ago before putting her back to bed for winter. For me, the LR3 is probably one of the newest vehicles I have owned. And my first truck. I always had land yachts before. And alway much older because they were more fun to work on and unique to drive.

What I have found here is that while there is certainly a lot of hands-on (DIY) users there is a pretty shallow knowledge base compared to other makes I have had. This is not a bad thing really, it just that while the LR3 platform is old the second/third hand market is just coming to fruit. If you think about it, a person who bought an 2006 probably had it for 5 years. Maybe less, maybe more. That first owner likely has everything done at a dealer/shop - also warranty/recall work. A second owner, they maybe had it for a few years too and there its probably 50/50 between them being DIY or dealer serviced. Third owners generally end up being much more DIY and some basic math simply shows there are few years of hands-on DIY knowledge built up. Like on my E32 I can source every single part to rebuild the electronic shocks. Boge never sold the bits, so it literally took decades for people to dissect and reverse-engineer things to figure out what was needed. Also the LR3 still has easy to source parts, which helps. Yet the LR3 is old enough that most of the common issues are documented. But generally the first response to any issue, buy a GAP tool.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Hello!

I also have a BMW (1992 750iL) and have been active in that area for a number of years. In fact she sat for all summer but I finally got her on the road a couple days ago before putting her back to bed for winter. For me, the LR3 is probably one of the newest vehicles I have owned. And my first truck. I always had land yachts before. And alway much older because they were more fun to work on and unique to drive.

What I have found here is that while there is certainly a lot of hands-on (DIY) users there is a pretty shallow knowledge base compared to other makes I have had. This is not a bad thing really, it just that while the LR3 platform is old the second/third hand market is just coming to fruit. If you think about it, a person who bought an 2006 probably had it for 5 years. Maybe less, maybe more. That first owner likely has everything done at a dealer/shop - also warranty/recall work. A second owner, they maybe had it for a few years too and there its probably 50/50 between them being DIY or dealer serviced. Third owners generally end up being much more DIY and some basic math simply shows there are few years of hands-on DIY knowledge built up. Like on my E32 I can source every single part to rebuild the electronic shocks. Boge never sold the bits, so it literally took decades for people to dissect and reverse-engineer things to figure out what was needed. Also the LR3 still has easy to source parts, which helps. Yet the LR3 is old enough that most of the common issues are documented. But generally the first response to any issue, buy a GAP tool.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I have had several BMWs starting in 2001. Most of my work and time has been on the E46 platform. I have owned 3 of them and currently have a 2005 M3, but I have had a couple others over the years and have a current model 3 series as well, F30, as my daily driver.

This LR3 is my wife's daily driver when it isn't being fixed... She loves it and can't bring herself to select or drive a more reliable car as her daily. it keeps me busy I guess. It had 70k on it when we bought it and is closing in on 130k currently.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

both of mine have passed 150k now

Old 12-19-2018, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
both of mine have passed 150k now
I wonder if I am challenging myself to have the car I have owned with the most miles on it be the least reliable and most difficult and expensive to repair.

Old 12-19-2018, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

My LR3's have had issues but knock on wood have been fairly reliable.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Land Rovers in my experience are a 'you take care of it, it'll take care of you' type of car. As long as you stay up on maintenance and dont ignore/put off fixing issues they'll keep running.

With how many computers are on the car, the GAP tool is priceless. You can get exact diagnosis codes when something goes wrong, live values from all sensors, and can do things like resetting adaptations, change the ride height, disable the TPMS sensors, etc.

Mine just passed 105k and knock on wood other than a coil pack and thermostat housing has only needed maintenance items

Old 12-20-2018, 01:48 PM
Drifting

I'm glad to hear a few of you guys have had good luck.

Maybe I just have bad luck with this car, but it seems like all the issues I have had so far are know, not uncommon issues, so maybe I am just lucky enough to get all of the known issues.

I do not ignore or put off repairs on any of my cars. I address right away with top quality parts.

I have had to replace the rear differential, alternator, A/C compressor, I replaced the windshield cowel as soon as I bought it, but later still had wire harness problems that the dealer couldn't fix.

I replaced the sun roof drains.

Connector on the air compressor broke.

Front wheel bearing went out.

I've replaced many brake light bulbs, Third brake light housing is broken - again.

Rear sway bar bushings replaced.
The heater blower motor went out.
The roof gutter and roof rack rail broke.
Both the hood and tailgate struts replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ride, build, look, function and features of this truck, but something is always going out, and with less warning than I get with other cars.

And once I get my repair log out of my tool chest, I bet I have forgotten a few.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by metallicpea
I'm glad to hear a few of you guys have had good luck.

Maybe I just have bad luck with this car, but it seems like all the issues I have had so far are know, not uncommon issues, so maybe I am just lucky enough to get all of the known issues.

I do not ignore or put off repairs on any of my cars. I address right away with top quality parts.

I have had to replace the rear differential, alternator, A/C compressor, I replaced the windshield cowel as soon as I bought it, but later still had wire harness problems that the dealer couldn't fix.

I replaced the sun roof drains.

Connector on the air compressor broke.

Front wheel bearing went out.

I've replaced many brake light bulbs, Third brake light housing is broken - again.

Rear sway bar bushings replaced.
The heater blower motor went out.
The roof gutter and roof rack rail broke.
Both the hood and tailgate struts replaced.

Don't get me wrong, I love the ride, build, look, function and features of this truck, but something is always going out, and with less warning than I get with other cars.

And once I get my repair log out of my tool chest, I bet I have forgotten a few.
sounds like you're paying for the sins of the 1st owner.

if it helps, the cowl, sunroof drains, alternator, bushings, tailgate/hood struts are common "wear out" items that everyone gets

Quick Reply: Hello. New Member