LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with 2005 LR3 purchase please. Added pic

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 2005 LR3 purchase please. Added pic

Hello everyone! New to the forum and looking for a little guidance. Wife wants a sportute and a wholesaler buddy of mine called me on a 2005 LR3 V8 HSE loaded with the brush guard, roof rack and tail light guards. White/tan and was a one owner with 96K miles on the clock. All service has been done except for the 90K. The BO36 and an aircompressor were done around 70K miles. Tires on the new side and it looks like a 25K mile truck. It is ridiculously cheap. Anything I need to be aware of with these outside of what I mentioned? I don't want her getting stranded or me have to dump lots and lots of $ into a vehicle. To me it sounds like this guy did everything you all talk about as far as issues with these.....just want a little more insight. Thanks guys!
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...00/Unnamed.jpg

[IMG]local://upfiles/12102/5DD21A2FDA8C4400A49C598615DD846C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help with 2005 LR3 purchase please

Im sure he has services records and you've viewed them in detail? And just out of curiosity how much are they asking for the vehicle... I don't mean to pry but we can tell you if what they are asking for it is really what its worth.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 AM
Drifting

I was in the auto business for past 9 years. Now aviation. I know it's a steal, if it's all there service wise. The records were gone over by the service tech when I was on the phone with him. Let's just say the number is south of $15K...you agree that's a good deal? V8 HSE in great shape cosmetically and appears mechanically as well.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The secret to happy ownership of any new model rover is extended warranty. LR3's have proven since they came out in 05 to be solid vehicles as far as drivetrain, but plagued with small issues, electrical and such. The problem is that almost anything you buy for one will cost you dearly which is where the extended warranty comes in. If you can get one with that many miles and still find someone to sell you a reputable, dependable extended warranty on it, buy it. If not, I would certainly look for one with less miles on the clock!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Drifting

Here's where that theory confuses me....spend a few grand on a warranty that may or may not be used. This guy bought it new and drove the daylights out of her. When I checked the history, he really did not have that many issues as some/many up here have talked about.He had 1 compressor and did that not too long ago along with the B036 along with all reg maintenance. Wouldn't you be safer in one that has gone more miles with less issues rather than grab one with less miles that may have issues that just haven't surfaced yet, and you are paying more to boot?? The priceIhave to pay for it is$12K. It was a $51K window sticker. Anyone see my point on this or am I being "LR3" naive?

Old 11-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Drifting

added picture of it to original message at top

Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Winching

The problem with applying the experience of what has worked with other vehicles to the LR3 is that it is still a relatively new vehicle so no one can say for sure how it will react as the model ages. All we have to go by at the moment is it's track record for reliability so far. Knowing up front how much the average repair cost for a Land Rover is and not knowing how many quirks the model will develop with age, I just believe that an extended warranty for a couple K or so is well worth the piece of mind it brings, given the unknown.

I would love to be able to say that because it has been a good vehicle since 05, it will continue to be so in the future but the fact is that no one knows right now what kind of issues will develop with age. I just look at the Discovery it replaced and at all the issues that are comming up with them as they get older and I get an idea of what I can expect . Here is a good example. It took a few thousand people finding out that the Discovery has sealed shafts that can not be greased that will go bad just as the vehicles end their warranty period and that they will destroy your transmission when they go bad leaving you with a repair bill close to 10k before we figured out that rebuilding the shafts with greasable joints before they fail for a few hundread bucks is the way to go. Unfortunately, the people who ran into those issues first as the vehicles aged, got stuck with the 10k bill inorder that the rest of us would learn how to avoid that situation. You just never know until the new models age, what they will behave like. So again, get a decent warranty and enjoy the BEST SUV on the road today!!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Winching

By the way, it is a gorgeous truck. The roof racks have been known to make some wind noise at speed so keeping them would be a personal preference choice, but with the A Frame and HELLA lights and break light guards it sorta completes the look. All it needs noware front light covers and a rear latter and you almost have a G4 look alike! The side door guards are extra and look nice. The running boards are also extra and I prefer the look without them but again, its a personal choice. Overall, looks very nice and the price just can't be beat.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Drifting

No warranty available for a couple grand. I am having a PPi done as we speak to make sure nothing going on. My mechanic is a Ferrari, Porsche and LR guy...he also owns them, so he knows the ins/outs. At the price I am paying I am hoping it will keep on trucking well....the rack is coming off and getting sold. Won't fit in my garage with it on. Thanks for the compliments. It really does look nice. Ijust don't want a bunch of headaches which is why we set out to buy a MDX or Pilot, but after spending some time with the Rover...we love it. I used to drive a Gwagon and it reminds me of that, which I also loved. Those unfortunately hold too much value still....

Old 11-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well 12k is a very good deal and it looks like its in great shape but, you are still taking a risk and it is your choice, not ours. You may go your entire ownership without any issues at all or it could be a huge headache and a bank breaker. Jantiz had an interesting point about the discoverys and the ujoints and who knows, some issues may develope like that in the LR3, though we hope not but, we don't know. How much is a warranty btw? i know it can range anywhere from 2 to 5k but, make sure it is from a reputable source, otherwise forget it. oh yeah READ THE FINE PRINT some will just scam you. Its near 100k miles so I don't think LR will certify it for you and give you an extended warranty. Its beautiful and the price is right but, its your decision, not ours.

Quick Reply: Help with 2005 LR3 purchase please. Added pic