LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Inertia switch malfunctioning!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Inertia switch malfunctioning!

Please help. My inertia switch has malfunctioned. This switch causes the hazard lights to flash, the locks to automatically unlock and the fuel pump to stop. What I need to know is where is it??? I have seen posts to its location on an LR2, but no mention to where it is on an LR3...I have called literally dozens of dealership service and part departments....and those that tell me more than "we need to see it" have told me everything from its in in the back under a panel to giving me a reset procedure with the key which has not helped....Could one of the service techs please let me know what I need to do to reset this switch? or, at least find it to replace it? Does it have a manual button to reset it, or is it a key procedure as Ive been told? From the posts on the older discovery, it seems to be a common problem...im surprised that there is little posting on the LR3s....maybe im just the first. I have an 05 LR3 with 7 passenger seating - has most options except nav.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED...its not drivable because the moment you take key out, the hazards start blinking...I had to pull fuse to keep them from running the battery down.

Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Help! Inertia switch malfunctioning!

Still have no responses regarding my LR3's ailment. Is this just an isolated problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Let me describe it a little better: The SUV drives fine when it is running. Everything works as it should. When you turn off the car, the car begins to flash the hazard lights and unlocks the doors every few seconds. From my research, this is due to the inertia (deceleration) switch that is supposed to trigger if there has been an accident (hazards come on, doors automatically unlock, cuts fuel pump off). In the older D2s, there was a manual switch under the hood that you could press to reset this switch. My car has obviously not been in a wreck, but it thinks for some reason it has been, I have searched high and low for the switch but cant find it....PLEASE, anyone, if you have had this problem, let me know how you fixed it...I have called land rover and they have given me a reset procedure (put key in 0 position 1 minute, turn to 2 for 30 seconds, then start car to reset) but this does not work. No one seems to know what is wrong with the car...the only other thing that happens at times is that the park brake(amber) light will come on sometimes....We are still driving the car, but have to get out, open hood and remove parking hazard flasher to stop the car's blinking lights and unlocking the doors....It is really embarrassing to pull up and have to do this wherever we go....I am out of warranty, and so far, out of luck....I really hate to get charged so much for something that doesnt need 124 dollar diagnostic plus whatever ends up being wrong...I have seen the inertia switches for sale for DII's up to 03, but none for 05 LR3s...Im hoping that someone could help or give me any helpful information. The 05-07's still have the inertia switches because they advertise them on the LR3s as a "safety" feature in their media releases, I just wish they knew where the bloody switch is!!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Help! Inertia switch malfunctioning!

Really wish I could help but this is the first I hear of that problem with an LR3.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by castillo8071
Still have no responses regarding my LR3's ailment. Is this just an isolated problem? Has anyone else experienced this problem? Let me describe it a little better: The SUV drives fine when it is running. Everything works as it should. When you turn off the car, the car begins to flash the hazard lights and unlocks the doors every few seconds. From my research, this is due to the inertia (deceleration) switch that is supposed to trigger if there has been an accident (hazards come on, doors automatically unlock, cuts fuel pump off). In the older D2s, there was a manual switch under the hood that you could press to reset this switch. My car has obviously not been in a wreck, but it thinks for some reason it has been, I have searched high and low for the switch but cant find it....PLEASE, anyone, if you have had this problem, let me know how you fixed it...I have called land rover and they have given me a reset procedure (put key in 0 position 1 minute, turn to 2 for 30 seconds, then start car to reset) but this does not work. No one seems to know what is wrong with the car...the only other thing that happens at times is that the park brake(amber) light will come on sometimes....We are still driving the car, but have to get out, open hood and remove parking hazard flasher to stop the car's blinking lights and unlocking the doors....It is really embarrassing to pull up and have to do this wherever we go....I am out of warranty, and so far, out of luck....I really hate to get charged so much for something that doesnt need 124 dollar diagnostic plus whatever ends up being wrong...I have seen the inertia switches for sale for DII's up to 03, but none for 05 LR3s...Im hoping that someone could help or give me any helpful information. The 05-07's still have the inertia switches because they advertise them on the LR3s as a "safety" feature in their media releases, I just wish they knew where the bloody switch is!!!!

​​​​​​Hi all,
I have a 2006 LR3 with similar issue. All electronics shut down while driving except hazard lights. Parked it, ate breakfast, got back in turn key, hazards come on, doors unlock and park brake flashes.No Start! is it the Inertia Switch? Where is it!!! ? Am in Hawaii with limited help here.