LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! lr3 no start, says its in 3rd gear!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 06:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! lr3 no start, says its in 3rd gear!

So I just started working on an LR3 I purchased recently. The original concern was that it didnt shift, so I put in a new shifter assembly, shift linkage and brake switch... I put the brake switch in a week before the shifter assembly. Since this, the vehicle will not start! I have all sorts of lights on the dash and noticed that the dash has a D on it as if im in drive. So i hooked the scan tool up to it, and the transmission is reading that it is in 3rd gear. Im pretty sure if the transmission is reading 3rd gear, it should be a 3 on the dash. Anyway, I ran through every gear and the scanner nor the dash had changed. So i hooked the old shift assembly up, same issue. there was a hard fault for p0705, but everywhere i look i cant find a diagnostic flow chart for this. I have yet to go through the wiring for the shifter. Thats my next step, but was curious if any one has ran into this issue before, if its a common problem, or if a flow chart for the p0705 even exists. couldnt find one on alldata or identifix. Thanks for any advice

Old 04-18-2022, 06:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Have you done a hard reset? What kind of scan tool do you have?

Old 04-18-2022, 07:02 PM
4wd Low

yes. I did a capacitive discharge twice.. Im using the snap-on zeus

Old 04-18-2022, 08:46 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 739 Likes on 621 Posts

Sounds like the linkage is way off. Should be set in neutral position, not in park. You may need to "find" neutral on the transmission and get the shifter to match then tighten it up. If you are 100% certain that is not the issue, then crawl under and disconnect the transmission capacitor. Its a small black device mounted somewhere on the trans, I forget where, believe it has three wires.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:06 PM
4wd Low

i marked the linkage before i took it off.. and no matter what gear i shift to, it still says gear 3 on the scan tool. The capacitor is right next to shift linkage underneath. have not tried that yet. I will give it a shot.. no crawling under as its in service mode , but i have a lift.. also, heads up, i used an electric ratchet under very low power to tighten linkage and also held it still at the same time.. not sure how sensitive these are but in my opinion, if this broke the linkage free, a bump on the road would have.. its only about 12 ft lbs

Old 04-18-2022, 09:12 PM
4wd Low

also, another heads up. No matter what the position of the shifter i can remove the key.. this was like that before any repairs. I know of the tccm reflash recall so maybe the old owners didnt do the recall. I dont exactly see how that would be effective in my issue , but maybe someone else does.. i can probably pull the software number off the tccm with the scan tool

Old 04-18-2022, 09:19 PM
Camel Trophy

My guess is you must be reading the actual transmission, but it would be nice to just double check what the shifter selection is outputting also. Read both values and see what happens. The only other thing I can think of is someone serviced the transmission and did not properly link the gear position slide, something I was cautioned about when I serviced mine. It can be easy to miss and could easily explain it all. I wonder if the slide itself can break, plastic bits are involved, so....

Old 04-18-2022, 09:26 PM
4wd Low

I am reading the actual transmission. The only issue with the servicing is, when i brought it into the shop i disconnected the shift cable, had someone in the vehicle, manually shifted it into drive, and drove it into the shop. So that really couldnt be the cause. Also the gear select indicator on the center console shift , even when pulled from the shifter assembly indicates the right gear. Really wish land rover was more open with their schematics

Old 04-18-2022, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy

All of the Rover schematics are online under RAVE - just have to find it but there are copies out there. Just search RAVE LR3 or such. Well the shifter has a physical connection to the transmission of course, so if its really not changing gear then it must be cable or transmission related, kinda rules out it being anything else upstairs, so to speak. Check out that capacitor, its not needed to operate but a fried one causes issues including no-starts. Then you would have to move onto the transmission ECU I would think. Or like I said, the shifter slider somehow broke. I found a thread, take a look at the pics of what I speak of.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr...t-start-98172/

Old 04-18-2022, 09:53 PM
4wd Low

everything mechanical to the trans is brand new other than the cable and i verified operation before putting it back together. i will definitely try the capacitor.. you say it will work with it unplugged if its the capacitors fault? other than that i think im chasing wires... after that dropping the pan.. dont know what else to do... seen something about a pillar connectors. By the way, is there anyone that offers new shifter assembly connectors or pins?

Quick Reply: HELP! lr3 no start, says its in 3rd gear!