LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Out of town and weird noise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help! Out of town and weird noise!

On my way down to the Redwoods from Seattle, I started to heard a front end noise that sounded like it was penetrating through the right wheel, after two days it has gotten worse, when driving straight the noise ALMOST goes away, when taking a LEFT TURN the grinding and noise is almost completely gone, but taking a RIGHT TURN has an intense grind that can be felt in the throttle. MOST noticeable at 30 - 40 mph.

First thought was front diff, but just changed the oil at 72k. Oil didnt smell or look to bad. At almost 75k now, and were still a LONG way from home

Its a 2007 LR3 V8 HSE.

PLEASE, ANY ADVICE OR HELP WOULD BE AMAZING!

Old 01-25-2015, 10:41 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad CV joint to me. I'm not too technical and I'm sure others with more knowledge will reply but have been through that before. Sounds similar.

Old 01-25-2015, 11:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

...impossible to narrow down. You need Chassis Ears. Could be bearing, CV-Joint, either driveshaft, either differential, transfer case. Wish I could be of more help.

On another note, per your auto-sig your LR3 sounds sweet. I'm in the Seattle area as well, if you want to go wheelin' this spring drop me a PM. I have a small group of guys that go out to a handful of spots.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:15 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
...impossible to narrow down. You need Chassis Ears.

On another note, per your auto-sig your LR3 sounds sweet. I'm in the Seattle area as well, if you want to go wheelin' this spring drop me a PM. I have a small group of guys that go out to a handful of spots.
Thanks for the reply, ive gotten under the vehicle after driving it. The transfer case didn't feel any warmer then it always does, don't have tools with me to take down the skid plate to check the front diff. Its been a headache for sure!

And thanks for the compliment! Would love to get out with you guys! Always looking for a chance to get out! Just pray that its not my differential haha

Old 01-26-2015, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 459 Likes on 410 Posts

Yeah....best of luck. The front diff isn't too bad (compared to the rear) in terms of cost; but let's hope it's something else like a bearing or something...

Old 01-26-2015, 01:45 PM
Mudding

At that mileage I would suspect a wheel bearing, that's about when mine gave out...scared the sh*t out of me as it sounded like the transmission had fallen apart...

Old 01-27-2015, 10:03 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by stmcknig
At that mileage I would suspect a wheel bearing, that's about when mine gave out...scared the sh*t out of me as it sounded like the transmission had fallen apart...
Scared the crap out of me too! Almost positive its the wheel barring. Taking it to Columbia Roving in Portland, OR. Will keep you guys posted!

Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 AM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

My vote is wheel bearing as well - the fact that a specific turn direction sets it off would definitely point towards wheel bearing over something like a CV (those see basically neutral forces in a turn, or at least since it's rotating the difference between a left and right turn is the same).

Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Definitely the front hub.

These aren't like the D2 hubs. They don't go bad slowly, they just immediately let go. Prop up the drivers front, grab the tire north and south and wiggle. You'll know.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM
Mudding
Default Figured it out

Got it down to Portland and dropped it off with the AWESOME guys at Columbia Roving. They got me in on crazy short notice and the verdict..... Front wheel hub assembly! BOTH! haha. My control arms are bad (known issue) and my brake pads and rotors are bad (known issue) so it was only a matter of time before the barrings went. So I'm getting it all replaced, including a new set of Tie Rods just to make the whole front end brand new!

Total cost, $2000 and a day in Portland. Could be worse

Quick Reply: Help! Out of town and weird noise!