LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 04:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Okay.....great anecdote, AtlantaViking.

So those things were correlated. The leaking and the not starting...and once you fixed one, the other was sorted. Then you didn't have to worry or pray anymore. I guess what I'm saying is that Pagoda's post was accurate in terms of what it pointed out, with just a twinge of hyperbole mixed in. The cowl and A-pillar and sunroof drains leak....period. That can lead to inconsistent starts...got it. Fix the cause and you're good to go.

Hey OP....go buy the '07, don't mind us!

The following 2 users liked this post by houm_wa:
AtlantaViking (12-19-2020), rdsmvp (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

We're all friends in pursuit of a common goal. From my perspective I do thank the LR Gods each time the vehicle starts and I don't get the christmas tree (despite how much I love the season). I have a late production LR4 now and nothing changes. I got it back from the stealership yesterday because the AC blew cold only on one side (warranty fix, I might add). Low on freon they said. Apparently some cars burn freon so it's quite normal (now THAT'S horse ****e, houm_wa). Pretty sure I have a leak. Hey ho. Anyway, it was about 25 degrees and snowing a blizzard so even with the AC at max chill it was still heating the car.

As an aside, they had a 50th anniversary FFRR in heritage colours for sale. Beautiful inside. Outside, more of a personal thing. Oh, and a bargain at $167K, before tax.

Last edited by pagoda; 12-18-2020 at 06:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AtlantaViking (12-19-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:18 PM
Mudding
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

Yes, regardless of the condition of the Lexus, go and buy the LR3. 07 year? Check. HSE? Check. Low mileage? Check. Immediately after you have bought it, buy a Gap IIDTool. Don't waste your time considering NOT buying it. Stuff will need to be fixed now or within the next 12 months on the LR3 - do as much as your wallet and time allows, and your ownership and driving experience will reward you tenfold. You have come to the right place - fantastic forum. Extremely helpful people. The solutions to 99% of your future issues and questions are here. Search is your friend. I once had an BMW M62 powered V8 vehicle, and I hated it in the winter, here in Wisconsin. Massive problems with PCV and Coolant system. The whole engine system on the LR3 performs great in very cold weather. Welcome to the Club... My wife has an 07 Lexus RX350. Extremely reliable. Extremely comfortable and smooth. Not difficult to work on. High quality interior materials. High mileage, around 250,000, and drives and looks like a new car. But it's not an LR3...

rdsmvp (12-19-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 10:17 PM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2009 LR3 with 135K miles. It’s a sagging, tired, leaking piece of junk now, worth maybe $5K.

I have a 2010LC with 137K miles that looks and drives like new. It’s worth around $30K.

Any questions?

Old 12-24-2020, 12:45 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Husker your experience is an outlier. In fact haven't you had more than one LR3 and had issues with both? Seems like you're snake-bit.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Husker
I have a 2009 LR3 with 135K miles. It’s a sagging, tired, leaking piece of junk now, worth maybe $5K.

I have a 2010LC with 137K miles that looks and drives like new. It’s worth around $30K.

Any questions?

No questions, but a statement: The cost of a LC is now over $80K (and that's without some of the bells and whistles you could add). The max cost of the LR4 when they were last built was almost $20k less.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:49 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by pagoda
No questions, but a statement: The cost of a LC is now over $80K (and that's without some of the bells and whistles you could add). The max cost of the LR4 when they were last built was almost $20k less.
The LR was 25% cheaper than a LC. Now it’s 80% cheaper.

Old 12-24-2020, 08:52 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Husker your experience is an outlier. In fact haven't you had more than one LR3 and had issues with both? Seems like you're snake-bit.
We’ve had 2 LRs and a 2015 RRS. Way too many problems with all of them. This LR will be our last - probably sell by this summer. I like a lot of things about LR, but car drama gets tiring.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:17 AM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Hi. I think I can be honest.

The LR3 is very purpose-built, in my opinion. It isn't even an "SUV" or a "4WD SUV." It's a 4x4...meaning it's built with off-roading in mind. It can do long road trips, too. It works just fine as a daily driver....but everything about it is designed with wheelin' in mind first. I don't know if I can say that about the LX. I do think the LX would make a fine overlander, and it's gonna be plenty reliable. I really liked the LX470, until I drove my sister's...it just felt, well...SOFT. That engine felt gutless, the suspension felt squishy, the steering gave little feedback. From then on, I just kinda hated it.

Question for you: have you driven both? If not, you should.

Are you going to off-road this vehicle? If not, the LX may work for you. If you are, the LR3 is gonna be better even though the LX could be adequate, too. I'm not knocking it.

I honestly think that just about anyone who drives an LR3 for a week or two, would never want to be without it again. I have had an '05 since new. I love it; it's my baby. My wife would drive it if she had to, back in the day....I have bigger tires on it usually and extra weight from skid plates and sliders and she never got used to the weight and the fact that it feels like a tank. Fast forward to spring 2019, I picked up an '06 HSE for $4700. At first she was like "I don't know, it's so heavy" and all this....after a week or so, I couldn't pry the keys out of her hands! She's like "okay, I kinda love it....." She chooses this LR3 with 205,000 miles over our 3rd car which was technically "hers," a 2014 Infiniti Q50S !!!! Ridiculous.

The LR3 has so much character....it just sort of gets into ya.
I second your comments. I also have an 05 LR3 since new. Approx 140,000 miles.

houm_wa (12-24-2020)
Old 12-26-2020, 09:12 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I met my wife in 2008 she has driven 4 different (used) Acuras. During this time she has not spent $1 on anything other than tires, brakes and oil changes; zero dollars on any type of repairs. Over the same period I have owed 2 BMWs, 1 Mercedes and most recently an LR3 which I bought this summer to use as hauler type truck while working from home with the thought that once I start driving to work again I'd get a sedan and keep the LR3 as a family/weekend vehicle. I don't want to count the amount of money I've spent on non-routine repairs on those vehicles for fear that I'd jump out a window. Things like water pumps and alternators that are "routine replacement items" at 50k and an instrument pack replacement on an lr3 at 90k. Any sane person in my position would just lease a 4runner and call it a day, but here I am wanting to sell the LR3 to get a newer LR4 because I like the platform. There is no rational explanation for it, but there is someting about these LRs that has got me hooked.

Quick Reply: Honest Question