LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How deep?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Dealership does not know how to service.

If you ask a Mercedes dealer if they can service the ZF tranny in any Benz, they will say it cannot be serviced. What they really mean is that they do not know how. The same is pretty much true for LR dealerships, (not all of them mind you), and you get the same story re differentials, the transfer case, and engine - sealed unit - replace only.

tlt has a warehouse full of differentials and parts and the knowledge of how to fix them. Search the forums and you will find lots of posts referencing servicing of the 3's differentials: the ones on the 4 are the same; mostly just software changed; underneath the spiffy interior, the 4 is still a 3.

Go swimming with a 3 or a 4 and you best know how to change the oil in the differentials; if not, you will be ordering rebuild kits from tlt and learning differential rebuilding D4. As to "sealed", my previous posts re the new Gore Tex breather upgrade I installed on my 3 is the current breather on the "sealed" front differentials of the current production LR4's and RR Sports. The reason for the upgraded breather is that some of the front breathers on the 3 were becoming blocked and hence the true differential seals that mattered were blowing and oil leaking out. No, neither the front nor the rear diff are sealed, nor are they supposed to be.

When you do change the oil in either your front or real diff, remove the fill plug first, then the drain plug. It seems that the fill plug can appear to be sealed.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarification

So basically the locking differentials on LR3's are not sealed? If so that is interesting because I have been taking that monster off road since I have bought it no real issues but if that is the case I want to avoid any future issues. I also have a L322 2012 Range Rover Autobiography which I also take off road and is that vehicles diff sealed ? Also are the engine already waterproofed or is it goes over 26.7 inch the engine will suffer from water damage i.e. corrosion on wires and leads or damage to modules and taking in water?

Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Raised air breather hoses off each differential

The link below is to a file I have on the front differential breather upgrade. The breather is located near the top of the front radiator on the left side. The upgrade is to install the improved LR4/RRS breather to reduce the probability of the seals that are already there remaining there to keep the bit of oil that is in the differential, inside the diff, and not to keep a river out.

There is a breather hose for the rear differential that follows sort of up the fuel tank filler hose; apparently the breather cap on it is OK.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Breather Cap Front Differential installation

As to how deep can you go, that is not a simple question. If the question is how deep a water can you park in, the answer is not very deep and not for long.

The reason for the nice rubber weather stripping around the engine compartment bonnet is to sort of create an air seal/air bubble to resist water immediately flooding the engine compartment as one drives briskly thru and across a water course.

Inspection of your bottom of engine located alternator probably suggests that the air holes, while not big enough for adequate air cooling are certainly large enough allow for drowning of the electrics.

I do not know anything about the Range Rover but it will not be much different or much better.

I can only hope it is fresh water and not salt but regardless, drowning is not the best; even boats seem to suffer adversely from contact with the water.

Pictures such as below tend not to depict the outcome.

I guess the short answer is that no, the 3 is not sealed like an Army truck might be, hence caution should be exercised anytime a Land Rover is outside the wire of Sandringham Castle, the Queens country estate.

Sandringham House - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Attached Thumbnails How deep?-d3-wading-over-hood-water.jpg  
Old 02-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

That photo is most definitely not real. I saw the real version and it was very impressive, but at-least 2 feet less depth.

Old 02-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

@Fang: you have a RR A-B and you off-road it??? You, my friend, garner much respect from me. I would LOVE to have one of those and build it just like my LR3 and wheel the hell out of it! Good on you.

The following users liked this post:
Fang (02-08-2015)
Old 02-08-2015, 12:58 AM
6th Gear

Thanks. I figure if I purchase such cars I should use it to their capabilities and its good fun to do so. But you will take your scratches and dings here and there, I have had to replace bumpers and running boards more than once.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM
Camel Trophy

I feel the same way, Fang. As for scratches, try this: Zaino Store

Old 02-09-2015, 08:23 AM
6th Gear

Thanks but my RR and LR3 both have cQuartz finest so the paint the will protected from the scratches and I used to have the whole car covered with paint protection film but that got to annoying because you can't fix orange peel in on the film or scratches and swirls. My issue is smashing bumpers, cracking plastics, etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:20 AM
Camel Trophy

Understood. Zaino has kept my paint looking good. As for smashing bumpers and cracking plastics, I guess you're just going to have to shell out the dough for that....otherwise stop bumping into things!

I seem to replace at least one rear mudflap every year, myself.