LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fit a new key fob battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 02:29 PM
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Such an excellent post! Thank you for making time to fully illustrate the process! Truly appreciate it!
Thank you so much!

Old 05-29-2024, 10:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

You want to Google IIDTool and about $700 (U.S. Dollars) will get you a new one, or you can search for a used one but read the file at the GAP site "Downloads/TransferGuide.pdf" first. When you reprogram keys, ALL keys MUST be present because the tool memorizes the correct code then wipes all memory of keys before rewriting all the keys it sees locally. Your keys must all have a working battery, so I'd check the one you soldered in to see if it hasn't expired from excessive heat, I used a 100 Watt iron and about 2 seconds of heat with Kester brand 60/40 resin core solder, then checked the battery with a digital voltmeter to make sure I hadn't fried it. There are other OBDII tools that can program keys, but ALL keys must be present, the GAP IIDTool is the one many of us purchased, but I'm sure others will chime in with some less expensive offerings (hope so anyway), good luck!

Old 09-02-2024, 01:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

After toiling over all the options, I just found a dealer that would not charge the programing fee for each key times two,since they are done at the same time on one programing, and bought two new OEM keys from them.They came from England cut..$871 for two new keys.
It was at the LR dealer near Princeton NJ.
Two dis satisfactions .I asked them what it would cost, they told me, I made appointment for a few days later..when they charged me was higher..why.. the hourly rate went up that same day. Not cool at all. And I thought I was getting two new keys and my working old one so I can give that to mechanic when we drop car off..no..they disabled my old key. Really no respect for customers $.

Last edited by Athana; 09-02-2024 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2024, 09:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 771 Likes on 645 Posts

I just programmed an $18 eBay key in addition my my other eBay key that has been used for years. Someone I lost my other and really should have a spare for camping, so the new one. To have it cut, key shop and $15.00. While I would love OEM keys, that is too much to spend.

Old 09-03-2024, 08:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I just programmed an $18 eBay key in addition my my other eBay key that has been used for years. Someone I lost my other and really should have a spare for camping, so the new one. To have it cut, key shop and $15.00. While I would love OEM keys, that is too much to spend.
It really is too much and that was the least going that route, we drove about an hour and a half to get to them.It was either getting one of those llD tools from lucky 8 or transferring in innards of our old ones not knowing if battery would hold up after 18 years and I don't have any tools or experience soldering...
I asked a local guy who would do the aftermarket key thing and he wanted $225 or $275 per key with the chance it will be an inferior job. I just did it OEM and told my wife make sure not to press key case with her nail cause it more readily wears through.After that bill she will be sure to do that : )