LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 10:55 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
So your problem is wet carpet and the question is where is the water coming from?

The first questions are has it been raining and have you been using your air conditioner; also where is the carpet the wettest - to the left and or right sides of the transmission tunnel or more to the far left or right sides of the foot wells?

If no rain and you have been using the air conditioner, then the carpet is probably wettest to the left or right sides of the tranny tunnel. If so, one or both the heater/AC enclosure drains has slipped off.

If it has been raining, the odds are the water is a result of plugged sun roof drains and the carpet closest the doors is where the wet first shows.

This link has a number of files related to the heater enclosure drains.

DISCO3.CO.UK Photo Gallery - Heater Air Conditioner System
it looks like water is coming from the sid of transmission area...I checked the A/C drain hose and its clear and dry but the area next to it seems wet...(see pics)...Where is this water coming from?????
Name:  rover%20drain%20water%201%202_zpsebkhk6r7.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  244.5 KB
Name:  rover%20drain%20water%201_zpsfregua0r.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  211.3 KB

whats under the area that could possibly leak??

Old 05-23-2016, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default two AC drain hoses

There are two AC cowling drain hoses, one on each side of the transmission tunnel. Generally one or both hoses slips off the plastic nipples of the cowling.

The hoses can be plugged under the floorboards where they exit the floor structure and hence the water will not dump onto the ground.

Try pouring a bit of water down each of the hoses and see if they back up. Generally you will not see the water on the ground as it tends to sit on top of the skid plates.

I could not see any jpg's - you best post them directly into the forum as I am not certain Photo Bucket works here.

Old 05-23-2016, 01:28 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bbyer
There are two AC cowling drain hoses, one on each side of the transmission tunnel. Generally one or both hoses slips off the plastic nipples of the cowling.

The hoses can be plugged under the floorboards where they exit the floor structure and hence the water will not dump onto the ground.

Try pouring a bit of water down each of the hoses and see if they back up. Generally you will not see the water on the ground as it tends to sit on top of the skid plates.

I could not see any jpg's - you best post them directly into the forum as I am not certain Photo Bucket works here.
Did that and water drains under the car correctly...is there anything else in that area besides those two drain hoses on each side of transmission?

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by MrWesson
Traction/4wd system.. Grand Cherokee. The system behaves in the same way as a locked front a rear vehicle(like a Rubicon). Less than one turn of the wheel and it locks up completely. The LR3 has an amazing traction control system but I personally liked the mechanical lockup better.
Back OFF topic: you seem to be discounting that the LR3 can be had with a rear locker, and you completely ignored its superior crawl ratio. I give the LR3 the nod on traction system as well.

...I mean "hands down" or "Not close" is all subjective so we could be saying the same thing. The JGC can probably do nearly everything an LR3 can do, just not as easily.

...and I'm no fan-boy. I'm using facts to defend my position. Every one of my statements can be backed up with data. I will be the first to say that the LR3 falls down in comparison to a Rubicon. Stock v stock though...that's about it.

Last edited by houm_wa; 05-23-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Default at a bit of a loss

Originally Posted by CATTIVA73
Did that and water drains under the car correctly...is there anything else in that area besides those two drain hoses on each side of transmission?
I cannot think of any other water source.

I presume you pushed something up the two plastic nipples the hoses slide on to just to sort of check to see if the supply drains were plugged. If so, I suppose the chamber would fill up and spill out somewhere else - say thru an air motor duct opening, that sort of thing.

I have heard the one of more of the hoses being pulled up and out of the holes thru the floor boards - the water still make it out thru the hole but some soaks into the carpet. This is however most unusual.

About all I can suggest is that you put an electric fan blowing on the carpet in an attempt to dry it and then with a water hose, try to get the carpet wet again via the sun roof and the A post. If the carpet remains dry, then the water must be AC related.

It is not too difficult to remove the H surround from around the radio stack. With that removed, you might beable to get your hands or at least a flashlight in under the heater vents etc and see if water is coming out of them due to I suppose plugged upper drains and overflow. The attached jpg shows where to pull and yes, it appears that LR goofed re the steering wheel - anything can happen at the factory it seems.

Also I now can see your three jpgs - it sort of suggests water coming out the heat/AC ducts under/behind the radio so you could have an overflow condition.

Attached Thumbnails How many miles ?-d3-removal-h-trim-around-radio..jpg  
Old 05-24-2016, 02:02 AM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

More fun off topic...

@ $50k-$60k price point, anything but Chrysler.

Far better odds you'll have more problems with Chrysler products than you would with Land Rover's.

Still, wouldn't choose either GC or LR3/4 for trail use.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:29 AM
Mudding
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Back OFF topic: you seem to be discounting that the LR3 can be had with a rear locker, and you completely ignored its superior crawl ratio. I give the LR3 the nod on traction system as well.

...I mean "hands down" or "Not close" is all subjective so we could be saying the same thing. The JGC can probably do nearly everything an LR3 can do, just not as easily.

...and I'm no fan-boy. I'm using facts to defend my position. Every one of my statements can be backed up with data. I will be the first to say that the LR3 falls down in comparison to a Rubicon. Stock v stock though...that's about it.
Originally Posted by KMET
More fun off topic...

@ $50k-$60k price point, anything but Chrysler.

Far better odds you'll have more problems with Chrysler products than you would with Land Rover's.

Still, wouldn't choose either GC or LR3/4 for trail use.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:43 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Bruce, do you have a RHD model?

Old 05-24-2016, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

@MrWesson

...you're no fun!

The following users liked this post:
KMET (05-24-2016)
Old 05-24-2016, 11:38 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Left Hand Drive

Originally Posted by DavC
Bruce, do you have a RHD model?
No, my LR3 is just like everyone else's LR3, the steering wheel is on the left side.

The jpg is one I found showing where to pull re getting at the radio stack as I am thinking the water is somehow traveling within the heater/AC ducting, as strange as that sounds.

Quick Reply: How many miles ?