LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent noise, can't determine suspension or driveline

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent noise, can't determine suspension or driveline

2005 LR3 HSE 102000k miles

Looking for some advice, trying to avoid throwing parts at it. First noticed the sounds about 10 days ago and have only been able to recreate it 2 times since. The only consistent conditions are climbing a hill while turning or curving to the left. (Weight shifted to the rear and passengers side) The maddening part it that I can turn around immediately and drive the same stretch of road and can't get the noise again.

The noise is rotational, and almost sounds/feels like a u-joint or cv joint binding. Seems to come from the rear of the vehicle, but sometimes seems like coming from the center. Also sometimes get a slight "thump" in the rear when coming to and leaving a stop sign. Again, inconsistent. Comes and goes quickly.

When not showing these symptoms the truck is butter smooth at speed, no vibrations or hums. Even if I try some repeated "on and off" the gas, I can't get the thump from the rear. Trans shifts fast and smooth.

Any thoughts? Really just trying to avoid throwing parts at this.

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2014, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

You may need to wait till it gets worse, last time diff was serviced?

Old 12-13-2014, 04:36 PM
Overlanding

We bought it with 86k, haven't done diffs yet. It was meticulously maintained at a rover dealership, all recommended service performed. Not sure if that includes diffs though. Just had the trans and t-case serviced, planning on diffs soon. I have the locker, can I use the royal purple on the locker? Or do I need factory fluid?

I though about the diff too, just have a hard time accepting that a diff would be intermittent and so hard to replicate. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though...

Old 12-13-2014, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Diffs should have been done by now, I have RP in mine now , with rear locker you need dealer stuff for that diff , hope it is not something in the locker

Mine has 50k and bad rear diff

Might want to get em serviced and check breathers

Old 12-13-2014, 06:26 PM
Overlanding

Yeah servicing them is top priority. Unless I determine that the diff is already shot, in which case I'll trade it in on another vehicle.

Did you have similier symptoms with your diff? What tipped you off that it was failing?

Old 12-13-2014, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

I can hear it humming, leaks and fluid was contaminated with water when I drained it

We put it on a lift and ran in drive the noise is definitely the diff , probly bad pinion bearing

Not sure how the locker looks inside, if it is the diff could just be chatter, you ever lock it?

Your issue could also be the park brake shoes, mine did some weird stuff when the lining fell off drivers shoes so never know

Old 12-13-2014, 07:44 PM
Overlanding

No way to manually lock the rear diff right? I've put the vehicle in off road situations and observed the rear diff lock via the display. Thats a good exersize though, I should give that a shot, couldn't hurt.

My gut tells me this is something much more obscure (like your e-brake pads) though, the symptoms seem way too random.

Old 12-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of stupid **** wears out for such a pricy vehicle

Old 12-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 454 Likes on 405 Posts

I have the same issue.

About a year ago it was tougher to replicate; since then it has become easier. For me it happens in 4-Lo only, especially when it's loaded, like up a hill, steering input in...and the settings that are more "torquey" like Rock Crawl produce it more readily. I thought for sure it was the rear driveshaft.

Nope. It's the rear diff. My rear diff is only 3 years old, with ~20,000 miles! Grrrr....
...and mine is the locker, too. $$$

I'm going to replace that AND the rear driveshaft, the latter just for the hell of it.

Best of luck.

Old 12-13-2014, 10:39 PM
Overlanding

Bummer. How did you conclude it was the diff?

Any DIY write ups for pulling the diff?

Anyone have experience with the rebuild kit from Atlantic british?

Quick Reply: Intermittent noise, can't determine suspension or driveline