LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Connectivity / New LR Owner

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPod Connectivity / New LR Owner

Hello all, just bought my wife an '06 LR3 with 45k under her belt. (We were previously toting our 2 kids around to Disneyland in a RSX so it was a big "sigh" moment) We love it. Since we bought from an independent dealer I took the car to the LR dealer and paid $190 to have it inspected/certified and it passed smoothly. After getting it home I found an iPod cable in the glove box. At first I was pleasantly surprised since I thought I was limited to the hockey AUX/minijack port, but soon became annoyed as I couldn't figure out where to plug the other damn end in. I posted the pic on another LR forum (actually it was a RR forum) and they were just as confused as I. Here it is... Sorry it's so big...
Any ideas? I'm still hanging on to the thread of hope that I might be able to control the iPod with the steering wheel with this hookup...

Also, I am very nervous not having the extended warranty after hearing all the feedback. I can take a $1k hit here or there but what is the actual probability of something major (the air suspension system) breaking? Not looking for a specific % but out of 10 people owning this vehicle after 2-3 years of driving, who has had to repair something major ($2-3k+)?

This car has so much class. Just hope it turns out to be at least half as solidly reliable as my radio-control-sized RSX-s. :-)

Old 03-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the other end goes behind the head unit, which requires if I remember correctly the removal of the unit, that is if in fact you have the correct cable for the LR3. It is sort of a permanent installation and most people I know who have it, had the dealer install it.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:16 PM
4th Gear

Really? So, no way to load new music onto it? Anyone you know mod the cable so it stretches into the glove box or right by the cig lighters which is where it really should be?

Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

thats not for a lr3, theres only 1 wired connector on the back of the radio, and you cant plug that into it. the dealer has one that works pretty well, not sure on the cost however. as to the reliability, aside from standard maintenance, and a goofy software update every now and then, theyre pretty good. make sure to get any signs of water leaks, namely on the rf floor board or center of the windshield fixed as soon as they appear, water and electronics dont mix well. ive seen a few radios go bad, but not really any major mechanical problems. keep it maintained and it will be good.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:54 PM
Three Wheeling

Not to hijack your thread djmalachi, but has anyone found a place to get the connectivity kit? I've only seen one on eBay and they want near $400 for it. What does the dealer charge?

I've only had mine for a year and half, but no major issues. I still got the extended warranty however, and would do so again. Though with the rise in the LR x-warranty I would check out the Ford one Janitz has mentioned.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:27 PM
Mudding
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

That looks just like the Ipod connector in a Scion. Which BTW does not charge an Iphone

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 PM
7th Gear

You can get an auxiliary connector for your iPod for about 10 bucks...I have one from a Volvo dealership...don't know where else to get one, but I don't imagine it's hard to find.