LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep or retire?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 04:30 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Keep or retire?

Hi forum members,

I have a 2008 LR3 HSE (115K miles) and had it since spring. I bought it from its first owner, and it was in overall good shape with a few things that needed to be addressed. After a few visits to the mechanic and spending time on the car myself, I am in a bit of a pickle. I got the following done:

* New catalytic converter (ouch!)
* New set of fuel injectors, engine tuning
* New TPMS sensors
* New tires
* New hood lock

Everyday a new thing comes up, and it's adding up to a list:

* Coolant expansion tank needs to be replaced due to the infamous low coolant error
* Looks like there is also a bit of a coolant leak
* Power steering fluid is leaking, struts loose
* Air suspension gives me errors when I change suspension settings
* Sunroof doesn't open/close, motor needs replacing
* Evaporator core seems to have build up, and A/C/heating gives off mildew smell
* TPMS sensor error due to sensor in spare tire
* Spare tire rod corroded, needs replacing

Of course, these can all be addressed, but as the list is getting longer and longer, the car is turning into a money and time pit. To make matters worse, I live in a town where mechanics are "currently not taking customers" so I don't have a "trusted mechanic" that could work with me.

I am trying to decide whether it is time to retire the car and get something else. I love the design, size, driving, but I feel like it's close to the end of its life. The care is used daily to pick my kids up from school and occasionally for outdoor activities in the weekends. Hard to give up otherwise a great car, but I am close to cutting my losses and retiring it.

Any thoughts from the forum?

Old 01-03-2023, 07:29 PM
Winching
Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

Sell it if do not have the interest in working on it yourself.

Keep it if you are willing to work on it yourself.

Coolant expansion tank is an inexpensive easy DIY repair

Air suspension - need more info

Sunroof - put key in II position and hold down front of the switch for 20 seconds until sunroof opens completely. (the sunroof may have lost it's calibration)

AC - not sure about that one - could be something as easy as changing the interior air filter

TPMS - have new one installed for spare or get GAP tool and turn off TPMS (if you need an extra key, the GAP tool will pay for itself)

Spare Tire rod (I guess to are referring to the system that holds and lowers the spare tire), replacement one on ebay for little money and and easy DIY repair

Old 01-03-2023, 08:06 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The decision obviously comes down to whether or not you want to invest the time and money into it to keep driving it. I had a list of things that needed fixing 2 years ago on my 2007 SE V8 with 175k on it. Some big ticket items meant it was going to cost about as much as it was probably worth. I love the thing and it seemed crazy to think about spending that to fix it but looking at used ones, I decided to spend the money to get the issues resolved on a vehicle I knew well, instead of starting over and trying to find another one that may or may not have cost more money in the long run. We have a great local independent Land Rover shop here that does great work and they are fair with their pricing and, since I'm not too mechanical, I trust them to do the work. From a pure financial equation type of deal it probably makes zero sense but its worth it to me so I block that part out because I plan to keep mine . There's always going to be issues as these things age and get more miles on them, maybe more than other vehicles. You just have to decide it its worth it to you or not. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:42 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

There is a lot to this decision. Let me level set though: this LR3 of yours is NOT anywhere near the end of its life. At 115k miles, it's just a baby. If it were me, I'd fix those small things and enjoy the LR3 for the next 150k miles of its life! However, if you are not into fixing it up, and really just use it to drive around town, you may sell it to an enthusiast that would be down to fix 'er up. What part of the country do you live in? I might need a 3rd LR3 myself!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:14 PM
4wd Low

Thank you keninnc. I really appreciate it.

I have "some" interest and ability, but not as much time (four little kids at home). So I can do the easier things like the expansion tank swap, but I don't think I can fix the power steering fluid/coolant issues.

As far as the specifics:

Sunroof -- I tried the calibration. After 20 seconds, the sunroof motor makes a loud noise but doesn't move. So somehow the motor movement doesn't translate to movement on the rail. I ended up accessing the motor under the headliner and manually closing it based on instructions on this thread.

AC -- replaced the filter, did ozone treatments a few times, took the car to a detailer, but the smell keeps coming back. Based on the reviews on
this product this product
, it really seems like mildew build up on the evaporator core, and applying that might help, which I have not tried yet.

TPMS -- thank you for the pointer. I will look into the GAP tool.

Power steering fluid & coolant -- for these, below is the "recommendation" from the mechanic, and I'm including some photos.
RECOMMEND REPLACING THERMOSTAT HOUSING AND GASKET, COOLANT HOSE TO LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD, FUEL SYSTEM CLEANING, REPLACEMENT, POWER STEERING FLUID EXCHANGE, BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGE, COOLANT EXCHANGE, FRONT, REAR AND TRANSFER CASE FLUID EXCHANGE, 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT, ENGINE CLEAN AND DYE FOR LEAKS

TECHNICIAN FOUND STEERING RACK LEAKING
FLUID AND HAS LOOSE TIE RODS AND CUSTOMER ADVISED

Diagnosed as: Power steering fluid leak, loose struts

Leaking power steering fluid

Last edited by madtownrover; 01-04-2023 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2023, 01:16 PM
4wd Low

Also, for the "recommended" services, I was quoted $1,900.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:24 PM
4wd Low

Thank you DryFly Trout.

I agree that the car is a "known quantity," and you would be starting over with a new car. I really wish I had a trusted mechanic in town. I now take it to large place, and it's a different guy you are dealing with every time, and it's not a conversation. They won't touch used or owner-supplied parts, etc. (They want to give a warranty on their work.) They pretty much only use OEM parts (Atlantic British is out).

Thanks again. We need to sleep on it for a few days and see what we should do.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:32 PM
4wd Low

Thanks, houm_wa. I live in Madison, WI. LR3 is a great car for the icy winters in our area.

I had a Volvo 850 when I was a student that I took good care of. I knew its issues (like DryFly Trout said) and addressed most of them. I traded it in for another car, and I regret it to this day.

Trying to avoid the regret this time, which is why I'm after some wisdom from you all. Below is a picture of the "baby."

2008 LR3 HSE (115K)

Old 01-04-2023, 02:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I think regret is what you'll have....because there really isn't another vehicle out there quite like the LR3.

What is all that **** leaked on your skid plate? Is that a combo of PS fluid and coolant? If you ask me, I vote for you to get it sorted. It might help for you to get quotes from independent mechanics and approach the dealer to see if they would compete...mine (up here in the Pacific Northwest) does. Ask if you can supply your own parts. Mine will do that too. I had the dealership install Arnott air shocks all the way around. You don't know unless you ask....and maybe you have.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:01 PM
4wd Low

I think it is a combination of both. Yes, it needs to be sorted out. I was surprised because they did a "multipoint inspection" in the summer, and these didn't come up.

I have asked, and the place I have been taking it won't accept anything other than OEM or original LR parts (they said they want to be able to give warranty on their work). I have called 10 other mechanics, and they are either (1) not serving LRs, or (2) not "accepting new customers." The next option is the LR dealer, but it's not going to be different from the place I have been taking it to.

Quick Reply: Keep or retire?