LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocked off Driver's Side Mirror (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:20 AM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocked off Driver's Side Mirror (Pics)

Hi all - new here and new to the LR3 so I'm glad I found this forum. Well ... somehow I was backing out of a tight space in a stupid parking garage and blanked on the fact that there was a pole, taking my driver's side mirror clean off. The problem is that the accident didn't really damage anything (it seems). The top part (mirror) popped off, a small piece inside broke off which I glued back on solidly (see pic), and one half of the black plastic piece attached to the door popped off and easily snapped right back in. The wiring is in tact.

Yet I can't figure out why the top part won't reattach to the arm attached to the door. (Excuse the lack of correct terminology here). I checked the ground when it happened, there weren't any other noticeable parts missing. If there were screws I think I would have noticed. It seems like there are screw holes near the dippings. I couldn't find anything online and don't want to go to Land Rover until I absolutely HAVE to. Thanks for your feedback. And ignore the white gunky stuff - it's epoxy residue I just need to wipe off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/11118/B584F357FBF44BC3B2789A4145CC3A60.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2008, 10:22 AM
7th Gear
Default RE: Knocked off Driver's Side Mirror (Pics)

Adding other pics ... (is there a learning curve for these? coming up with the red x?)

[IMG]local://upfiles/11118/4369154AAFCF4CC08DC0DBDA6FBBDB13.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 AM
7th Gear

and one more pic ......

[IMG]local://upfiles/11118/4F131945C3F047B5986F62A0D71982F8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, Jerkey. Welcome to the forums. We have a few great techs that may be able to help you. I think this is the first question I have seen regarding ext body parts on the LR3 so not sure if our techs are good on those issues as well. I've been lucky enough to keep my mirrors attached which is no easy task living in the San Fran bay area with all these non drivers so I don't have your answer myself other than if it comes to having it replaced, the last thing you want to do is pay out of pocket at the stealership. I love my localdealer and will continue going there as long as it is warranty work but their prices are ridiculous for parts and labor. I'm sure any body shop worth their advertisement can do the same job at a fraction of the cost.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 PM
7th Gear

Uhhh yeah ... I just moved from SF to LA recently so I know all about those drivers. You cannot own a nice car in the city, that's for sure. Thanks for any suggestions. I recently leased the vehicle, and everyone at LR was so nice I thought I'd try here before going to them and just seeing what they tell me.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:43 PM
2nd Gear
Default LR3 Drivers Mirror Reattachment

Jerky - Did you manage to reattach the mirror? I have done the same thing this weekend and see exactly the situation, no visible metal fractures and just superficial plastic casing damage. I was reversing and had the mirror pop out of the mounting attached to the door. From what I can see tere is a spring loaded centre barrel that when rotated will hold the mirror onto the door mount, the problem is how to compress the spring and rotate the barrel to get it reattached.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Mine just broke. Not sure how the heck it broke...probably a kid playing outside must have ran into it or something.

I'm able to drive with it but it shakes a little.

Not sure how to 'fix' it. I wonder if epoxy would work to keep it in place.

No visible 'hit'.
Name:  DSCN7838.jpg
Views: 2155
Size:  75.2 KB

it lifts right off
Name:  DSCN7839.jpg
Views: 2362
Size:  73.1 KB

Further inspection i noticed a piece missing (directly over the cable).
Name:  DSCN7843.jpg
Views: 2170
Size:  89.7 KB

I found this inside the mirror. It looks like it broke.
Name:  DSCN7845.jpg
Views: 2074
Size:  175.6 KB

Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Same problem with my side view mirror (knocked off). Did you ever figure out a way to get it back on?

Old 07-28-2014, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default LR3 Wing Mirror replacement

Not sure if this will be any help, but I reversed into my garage back in 2010 and knocked the drivers side wing mirror off. I can't remember whether I physically snapped it or just popped it out of it's metal mounting.

What I do know is that I took some photos when I was doing the work showing how to remove the mirror completely from the door frame so it could be replaced - I am pretty sure I needed to do this to set it back in it's socket or replace the cowling around it.

The steps I took were;

1) take the inner doorpull trim off and remove the retaining screws that fasten it to the door
2) Pop the door trim panel from the door below the door mirror area (you don't need to take the door trim off but you do need to pop out the clips near where teh harmon Kardon tweeters are on the inside of where teh wing mirror is mounted) this allows you to then do step 3
3) pop out the speaker mounting which holds the tweeters on the inside of where teh wing mirror mounts to the door which allows you to get access to teh mounting screws that hold teh mirror to the door

After doing this I think I was able to reconstruct teh mirror and plastic surround and then reverse the process to back it back as it should be.

I don't remember buying anything (I cracked teh heated mirror but wasn't paying $70 to replace it) so I think i popped of teh surround and could only get it back on by loosening the mirror from it's mount.

Not sure if this helps.
Tim