Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump failed, knocked out the fan and serp belt. What else to replace???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump failed, knocked out the fan and serp belt. What else to replace???

Hello everyone,

I purchased my first disco in May of this year, and this is my first major issue. We are working with a 2002 Discovery II, 101k miles....

Last night, my engine got a little too warm (did not overheat) and started pulling my fan, causing it to wobble on a cold start. The engine started to rattle a bit while idling, and also began to screech a bit. After poking around under the hood pretending that I have the slightest clue as to what happened, I committed the stupid act of driving int home (about 15 miles).

Oddly enough, after hitting 35MPH, the sound stopped. So I parked it, started it this morning with to no noise, no obvious issue. This morning I drove the car to work, stop and go, max speed 50MPH, about 70 degrees outside, without indecent.

On the drive home (approx 85 degrees) both the rattling.knocking came back, this time with more screeching. I pulled off, and it felt like my power steering failed. Battery light came on, so I shut it down. Fortunately there was a repair shop across the street so I idled my way over there.

Popped the hood and found that the water pump pulled on my fan, causing it to cut in to my serpentine belt, and damaged the plastic casing that goes over the belt. There are also a couple of ball bearings that got hot enough to fuse together.

So far, looks like I need to replace the water pump, fan, serp belt, and tensioner. I figured that while they are at it, they can change my thermostat as well.

Question #1: Is there anything else that I should address while these are being replaced?

Question #2: I don't trust the Land Rover IQ, or lack there of, of the techs at this shop. I the off chance that someone from KC reads this, can anyone provide me with a contact that does good work in the Kansas City area? I've done a bit of searching, but

I am picking up the parts from British Atlantic today. They are a much better option compared to the pricing this shop gave me.

Thanks much in advance,
-Nate

Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Mr. Nate,

You did what a lot of people would do. But in hindsight, the screech is uaually a ball bearing and or the belt being pulled over a frozen pulley. The tech should check all other things that turn freely with the serpantine belt, just in case. Thermostat is cheap. It is normally good shop practice to replace water pump and fan clutch, if so equipped, as they tend to fail near each other. If not replacing, be sure they throughly examine the fan clutch.

You could hedge your bets and download the RAVE, then print out the cooling section of the workshop manual file. Or take it to them on a USB drive. An experienced tech with the right documentation and a couple of chocolate covered donuts can work wonders. Donuts are the best business bribe, they eat all the evidence...

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-27-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Mudding

Thanks Savannah. I appreciate the help.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

You need to inspect and or replace, the pump, belt, fan if it is broken, radiator if the fan hit it.
Then you need to bleed the system and verify there are no other issues before you head out on the road.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Winching

clutch fans are not cheap. that sucks man.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
clutch fans are not cheap. that sucks man.
Isn't there a Chevy replacement that works or is that a DI? I thought somebody mentioned something like that on here at some point but, not sure where I saw it.

Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Found this on ebay. Don't know the quality but the price is right to get you back up and running. $50 plus $10 shipping.

Land Rover Range Rover Discovery Discovery 2 Fan Clutch | eBay

Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Mudding

Question Guys... I own a 2003 discovery with 130 miles on the engine, never done head gasket or anything but I notice that my engine is running hot latetly, I replace the thermostat thinking that may fell or something.... But the engine keep running hot, If i let the engine idle for about 10 min the temp start climbing up to 215 or maybe more.. Now When I drive if i go too slow like 45 miles she get around 215 or more... So just to mention, it had antifreeze and oil is fine, no nocking at all and no leaks.... So that may be my water pump going bad?? And I dont hear my fan kicking clutch kicking anymore... Cut be my fan clutch and water pump bad??

Old 08-30-2011, 07:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you should test the clutch fan as well as the electric fans that come on with the airconditioning, you are correct 215 degrees is too hot.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Radiator is needing flush and or replace. Also check fan clutch, when hot and engine off it should not free wheel, should spin maybe 1/2 turn. And could be water pump, belt route, slipping belt. Water pump easy DIY change, once you get fan off. Also be sure radiator rins are not clogged and no trash between radiator and condenser. This needs attentiion today. Youy can alos as a stop gap measure install a bottle of water wetter from parts store, it will cut it down a few degrees.

Quick Reply: Water pump failed, knocked out the fan and serp belt. What else to replace???