LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'Land Rover' button

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 'Land Rover' button

This probably seems like a pretty minor issue - but frustrating none the less:
I'd set up the Land Rover button on my key to activate headlights some while ago, recently noticed that when pressed it unlatches tailgate (not even aware that was an option!).
So I've been trying to reset following instructions in the owner manual - and have also tried it with key out / turned on / running - just about every combination. Still unlocks tailgate.
I tried the other options, thinking maybe it's just the headlight option not working. Nope.
2005 LR3, key is probably two years old. It's cold and dark here.
Any ideas?

Old 02-14-2015, 05:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not sure if this verbatim from the user guide or not, but in case this helps here are the steps.

Program the key fob 'Land Rover' button

The Land Rover button of Discovery 3's key fob (bottom of the 3 buttons, with the 'Land Rover' logo on it) can be programmed to do one of four things - trigger the panic alarm; turn on the 'follow-me-home' headlights; raise or lower the suspension; or release the upper-rear tailgate.
  • To set the panic alarm, insert the key in to the ignition (position two) and then remove the key from the ignition. Immediately after, hold down the Land Rover button on the key fob whilst pressing the hazard warning light button on the dashboard.
  • To set the remote to turn on the headlights, insert the key to position two and then remove it. Hold down the Land Rover button on the key fob whilst flashing the headlights (by pulling the headlight control stalk). The amount of time the lights remain on for depends on the headlamp delay setting (which can be changed within the Settings menu of the digital display).
  • To set the remote to raise or lower the air suspension, turn off the engine and remove the key. Within one minute, press and hold the Land Rover button on the key fob whilst pressing the air suspension control lever on the Terrain Response area of the centre console (to either position, up or down). The suspension can then be adjusted using the remote key fob. The hazard warning lights must first be turned on and all doors closed. To raise the suspension, hold down the Land Rover button whilst pressing and holding the lock button. To lower the suspension, hold down the Land Rover button whilst pressing and holding the unlock button.
  • To set the remote to release the tailgate, press and hold the Land Rover button on the fob and then release the tailgate (either by opening in outside or by pressing the Lock and Unlock buttons on the dashboard together).

Once the remote has been successfully programmed, the vehicle will 'bong' to confirm.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Overlanding

And there was light!
Thanks for that, worked a treat.
Now I'm wondering why my manual instructions are different (though I must have used them when setting lights before) and it doesn't even mention tailgate. And why did it suddenly start operating tailgate anyway?
LR3 certainly are interesting vehicles...

Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Question for you concerning the tailgate... When I had my remote programmed for the tailgate, it would kind of half-pop the hatch. It would unlatch, but I couldn't just pull it up to open the tailgate afterward because it didn't fully unlatch/pop outward enough. So... I still had to end up pressing the release handle to open the tailgate anyway. Is this how yours worked too? Seems kind of pointless if so... Kind of like programming the remote to lower the suspension, but only being able to do it with all doors closed and the hazard lights on!

Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Overlanding

That's right, it would kind of pop the upper tailgate (and show on dash as tailgate open) but still have to press release button, and though that seems the obvious place to lift it anyway, I'm with you: what's the point?

Old 02-15-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you guys buy the LR3s new or were they a few years old? The only reason I ask, is that my first one was 7 years old with over 150,000 miles when I got it. I never noticed anything strange about the rear lift gate, but one day I went to close it and the plastic Land Rover struts broke. After I replaced them, I noticed that the gate opened with considerably more force. I've never tried the remote option, and my current LR3 is four hours away waiting for a good engine at the moment, but maybe new struts would make a difference?

Old 02-15-2015, 03:07 PM
Overlanding

That's a valid point, Jafir. Bought mine used, and suspect struts are coming to the end of their pushing power. There again, -25C is going to slow any strut down.
The light option is more beneficial to me anyway, but even if struts push tailgate up, not quite sure I see the advantage.
Good luck with the engine.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Sadly, this is not the case with me. I just replaced my rear struts not long ago and my remote still won't fully unlatch it. The problem is that the struts don't have any effect because the tailgate is in a perfectly vertical position when it's closed, so when it unlatches, there is no force from the struts to push it open.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

I had mine programmed for the lights as well (the second press for rear lights is especially useful) but mine started doing the tailgate one day too, till I realized I had picked up the other key fob for some reason and THAT one was programmed for the tailgate lol.

Not sure if you did this or not, but they do have their own programming memory.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:58 AM
Overlanding

Not so in my case, at least.
Having had to purchase a new key, I now make sure my spare (original) is kept in a safe and warm place, coming out only occasionally for a charge.

Quick Reply: 'Land Rover' button