LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Light Bar Recommendation / Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 03:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to get a good quality light bar. The cheeper ones aren't as bright and/or don't project as well. Any ways, just wanted to share what I did with mine. I bought one of those aftermarket grills and put the light bar behind it. To make it easier for myself I screwed it into the bumper with self tapping screws and it work out pretty well. Also for the wiring harness, I ran the wires for the switch through the grommet by the master brake cylinder. Anyways heres a few pictures of the end results.

Attached Thumbnails LED Light Bar Recommendation / Wiring-img_2973.jpg   LED Light Bar Recommendation / Wiring-img_2975.jpg   LED Light Bar Recommendation / Wiring-img_2996.jpg   LED Light Bar Recommendation / Wiring-img_2994.jpg  
Old 03-03-2016, 05:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I did Rigid 40" on the roof rack, and 2 diffused 10" rigids on the back. I wired them up with remote relays which has worked out well.. Good luck with your project. Lemme know if you want to see pictures of the setup, or wiring.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Overlanding

My budget is up to 300-400 dollars. I am still contemplating if I really need one or not.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Overlanding

I really appreciate it Steve and unseenone. Like I said in the previous post, I am not sure if I am going to follow through with the project. If I do, I'll let you know. I have a roof rack and put kayaks, canoes, etc on it and am worried about the light bar getting in the way.

Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here. I bought a light bar off of ebay from (I'm sure) some Chinese manufacturer with a distributor in the US. I did this because I simply couldn't justify the crazy prices from some of the US manufacturers and because I honestly didn't think I'd be using it much. I also figured that I would be installing a good "infrastructure" with the wiring, relay, switch, etc. and swapping out the light bar would be easy in the future if I ever wanted to upgrade.

That being said, I've been thrilled with my $130 light bar. It is literally like I have a miniature sun tied to the top of my roof. The light color is probably a little whiter than the stock Xenon lamps, the brightness is insane... almost too much, the spread is great and the throw is okay. I honestly wouldn't mind the throw being a little better, but when I flip my high beams on, they fill in the furthest gaps just enough.

I have had zero issues thus far with water or dust ingress and the bar has been through some tough conditions. The finish isn't a glossy black anymore... it's a little weathered, but only a little bit. No bubbling or chipping or anything like that.

If you want a light bar that's in the $300-400 range, then I would totally suggest this route in order to gauge your usage. If, in a year, you decide it's not for you, then at least you haven't emptied your savings on it. If you use it all the time and you're having issues with the cheapie, then by all means upgrade at that time.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:13 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bil67LR3
I really appreciate it Steve and unseenone. Like I said in the previous post, I am not sure if I am going to follow through with the project. If I do, I'll let you know. I have a roof rack and put kayaks, canoes, etc on it and am worried about the light bar getting in the way.
If you want to retain a full functionality of your roof rack and add good light bar , you should look into Prospeed Light bar out of UK.It sits on A pillars just below any roof rack line and allows for any light configuration in the future .

Old 03-04-2016, 01:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

On the dissent comments, that is fair enough. I did the Rigid.. Even those needed some RTV silicone injected into the wiring harness ends that were left after I chopped out all the stuff not needed for the remote relays.

You'll probably find if you disconnect the harness and drop the low side some moisture will come out. It is worthwhile plugging the top and bottom of the harness on any of these with some silicone.

On the roof mounted light bar, it really depends on what rack you have. I got pretty crafty with the Baja Rack and light bar, and I might be able to put a boat up there without interference if I needed to do it. The light is below the bar behind it by a couple of inches.

Before remote relay install;

After remote relay install

Front View

I hope this helps..

Old 03-08-2016, 06:51 AM
Overlanding

Thanks again for everyone who has responded to this post. I have decided to go with a hella light bar and plan to route the wires straight into the dash inside the vehicle. Next thing to do: get a hitch 😂