LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left rear door lock issues, is it the actuator or the inside door handle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default left rear door lock issues, is it the actuator or the inside door handle?

2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 4.4

My left rear door lock and latch is acting up. The lock will move when locking or unlocking, however, it does not seem to move far enough to actually engage the lock. When locked, the door will open from the outside, alarm sounds. From the inside, door unlocked, the handle won't open the door unless you manually pull the door lock tab out a bit, then pulling the door handle will open the door. (I believe that while inside and pushing the door lock tab in, that the door will be locked and that you can't open it from the outside, but I can't quite recall).

I have pulled the door lock actuator and all locks good, the cables move as they are supposed to but I am thinking that they aren't moving quite far enough to actually allow the inside door handle to open the door or to engage the lock tab to lock the door so that it can't be opened from the outside.

Is this a door lock actuator problem or an inside door handle problem.

I discovered the problem when I first looked at this truck before I bought it. I have put 25,000 miles on it and it hasn't been an issue for me, but I am concerned about security and the ability to fully lock the truck.

Any ideas? Has anyone dealt with this issue?

I picked up a replacement door lock actuator from the wrecking yard for $60. I haven't had the time to install it and I really don't want to go to the trouble of doing so if that isn't the cause of the problem.

(By the way, Dave's Wrecking on Heritage Road in San Diego has a nice LR3 White with tan, and a couple of Range Rover Sports, one Giverney Green and one Black, with lots of parts. La Paz Wrecking just up the block from Dave's has a nice 06 LR3 Black with tan that seems to have lots of parts too.)

Thanks,

Phil

2005 LR3 HSE 4.4 HD Tonga Green/Tan (might be on the market soon)
2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 4.4 Giverney Green/Alpaca (might be on the market soon too)
2010 Range Rover Sport HSE 5.0 Black/Tan (my wife started driving the 2010, I don't think that I will get it back without a fight.........she was driving the LR3)

Old 03-06-2019, 01:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I had a similar situation. Pulled the actuator apart and couldn't find a thing wrong with it, but with no other ideas I replaced it with new. That solved it.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 715 Likes on 601 Posts

This may solve your issue. Not the best video per say, make sure you watch it all because his initial fix failed so towards the end he bends a part and that solves it instead. Also of note, I have this issue with driver front. If I lock the vehicle the door does not lock. But if I press my remote lock two or tree times, its good. So its just habit for me to now lock my truck by pressing the remote three times.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Three Wheeling

Good find, wish I had seen this before I bought a new latch but I was in a hurry to be able to secure the truck. I checked my old assembly today and the catch on the white plastic part is not sheared, but it is rounded off allowing the metal arm to ride up and over it as shown in the video. Bet this would fix it. Maybe in another 10yrs/145k.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:26 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Don;t bother pulling the actuator apart.
Get a new one and put it in.

These go bad. Just like a pair of shoes.
Haha or head gaskets.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:30 PM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I've followed the instructions shown in that video on 3 of 4 of my actuators and had successful results, no problems since.

Old 04-26-2019, 07:01 PM
Three Wheeling

My driver side rear door would not open from the inside. This afternoon I bent the arm per the video and the fix was successful. Straightforward fix, don’t hesitate to give this a shot if you’re having lock/latch issues.

Old 04-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

How do you guys get the actuator out of the door without the LR special tool to disconnect and remove the window glass from the window drive unit?

Jeff

Old 04-28-2019, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling

I've only done the rear doors, but the glass can be removed from the regulator by prying gently on the clip with your fingers or a screwdriver, then the glass will go up. I wedge a plastic trim tool on the outside to hold it in place instead of dealing with tape. I left the regulator in the door while working, just push it towards the front of the door.

The following users liked this post:
Rufflyer (04-28-2019)
Old 04-28-2019, 04:34 PM
Winching
Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Jagmandan,

Thanks, that is certainly different than the method described in the manual. I will give that a try this next week when I have a chance.

Jeff

Quick Reply: left rear door lock issues, is it the actuator or the inside door handle?