LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Crack in Rear (Stationary) Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Long Crack in Rear (Stationary) Sunroof

Thoughts on the best way to replace? I called some glass repair companies, but they are saying the crack is too long. It's around 4 ft from the passenger front to driver rear on the glass. Not sure I want to go OEM new glass for 1k+. Would this be hard to pull from a salvage yard? Several LR3's around here that I could likely source from ... how would you guys go about it? TIA.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

I would ask the local dealer who their 3rd party company is that replaces them, and I'd go to them directly. Oh, and I'd submit an insurance claim and pay the $500 deductible. I went through this about 2 years ago. It worked out quite well. My glass is nice and shiny and new now....on my '05. It was original before. I broke it off-roading when an unsecured spare tire sitting in the boot sprang up (I hit a hidden bump) and struck the glass! It was crazy. I secure that $hit with a ratchet strap now!

Old 02-23-2023, 03:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I would ask the local dealer who their 3rd party company is that replaces them, and I'd go to them directly. Oh, and I'd submit an insurance claim and pay the $500 deductible. I went through this about 2 years ago. It worked out quite well. My glass is nice and shiny and new now....on my '05. It was original before. I broke it off-roading when an unsecured spare tire sitting in the boot sprang up (I hit a hidden bump) and struck the glass! It was crazy. I secure that $hit with a ratchet strap now!
As the Rover is paid off (and not the daily), I only carry liability on it. I wish I could file a claim for $500.

Old 02-23-2023, 03:40 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

2 people with something like cheese wire should be able to get it off, you will wont to go slow and careful.

The following users liked this post:
SeattleDriver (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 03:52 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Sounds like a plan

I was going to have the headliner reupholstered, and I think I have to remove it to repair, so why not kill two birds with one stone. When I get around to it, I’ll let you guys know.

Old 02-23-2023, 07:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

It’s just glued in place. The factory removal procedure is basically what loanrangie said, use some cheese wire and (if needed) a putty knife. I don’t even think you need to lower the headliner. Some salvage yards will pull it for you, so you can let them break it yours is already broken, so removing yours is risk free!

HaSlEt (02-23-2023)
Old 02-23-2023, 07:28 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
It’s just glued in place. The factory removal procedure is basically what loanrangie said, use some cheese wire and (if needed) a putty knife. I don’t even think you need to lower the headliner. Some salvage yards will pull it for you, so you can let them break it yours is already broken, so removing yours is risk free!
Awesome. I don’t know if they will pull if for me, but I’ll sure get them to try.

Old 02-23-2023, 08:52 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts

You do not need to lower the headliner.

HaSlEt (02-24-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 03:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Glass is getting replaced as we speak for $450, all-in. This leads me to my second question:

I have the land rover roof rails. I have no way (or know-how) to get those off. We just pulled the whole rail assembly by removing the 6 torx screws bolting it to the roof, but how do I remove the rails? I see a key slot, but my drive key doesn't work for that and I don't have any others. Hard to find web videos as well specifically about removing the rails, but not the mounts.

Old 02-28-2023, 06:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by HaSlEt
Glass is getting replaced as we speak for $450, all-in. This leads me to my second question:

I have the land rover roof rails. I have no way (or know-how) to get those off. We just pulled the whole rail assembly by removing the 6 torx screws bolting it to the roof, but how do I remove the rails? I see a key slot, but my drive key doesn't work for that and I don't have any others. Hard to find web videos as well specifically about removing the rails, but not the mounts.
There should be a code on the lock for you to get a key for them, its a small key so your ignition key doesn't fit.

HaSlEt (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Long Crack in Rear (Stationary) Sunroof